108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Running racktower.efi on rx2600

SOLVED
Go to solution
Friendship
Occasional Contributor

Running racktower.efi on rx2600

Hello. I have rx2600 server, but want to stay it in office environment. I know that only zx6000 had changing fans sets and changing fans themselves steps. Conversion kit for rx2600 serves only mounting option.
I want to run racktower.efi utility on rx2600. I also know that it wasn't designed for rx2600, although rx2600 & zx6000 are nearly the same. It will not problem to bypass device ID checking if it's assist, but i'm afraid to damage EFI firmware. Isn't it harmful? If those are almost the same, why wont try? I see the utility doesn't depend on machine's firmware version, so i think it's change only settings.

Buying refurbished or new fans is not a problem, refering to conversion guide's part numbers. So the problem is only in soft part.

Again, if it's impossible, i all one need something to do. Maybe set new fans with experimentally checked OMage of resistors. And set them on path to fans. And bypass RPM sensors.

Thank you.

Of course i'm not interesting in answers like "try to buy zx6000 workstation", it's for personal use only. And it's hard to get someone else in my town. If so, it's better say nothing.
4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

You might want to look at this thread about:
(Office Friendly Server) configuration, the rx2660 is quieter than an rx2620.
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1157118
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Based on what I found about this tool it is intended to convert from tower to rack or vice versa. But I would expect that it will not run on your system, because it detects the server identity.
The workstation and the server are using the same parts (systemboard), but the model name tells the firmware "I'm different".

So I doubt if this works.

AFAIR there is a office friendly rx2620, but no rx2600. IMHO you cannot change it.

I don't know how you want to "bypass" the rpm sensors, because a slower fan is a failed fan from the system point of view.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Friendship
Occasional Contributor

Thank you everyone.
Friendship
Occasional Contributor

Topic run dry