5870 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Screen is blank rx4640

Daniel Fourie
Frequent Advisor

Screen is blank rx4640

Hi all

I have got a stupid question. We recieved a new rx4640 and I am trying to install HP-UX11iv2 on it but the screen is not comming up. There is only a little cursor blinking on the screen. How do I get to see the actual boot process on my machine, and where do you plug in the keyboard and mouse(USB)?

Regards
Daniel
Knowlage is Power
5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Screen is blank rx4640

Daniel, this is not a stupid question. You can configure one of different primary consoles for this system. Try to connect a serial terminal (vt100 emulation) to the local serial port of the management processor (MP). Within the EFI-shell you can configure your VGA as console.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Connect at terminal or laptop with a crossover cable and hyperterm to the serial console port (9600 baud). HP-UX may have already been installed at the factory, but from the EFI you need to enable the output on the console and enable the keyboard/mouse via USB. Let us know if you need more guidance once you get to the point where you see something on the screen.
Mom 6
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I suspect that the gory details are covered in one of the manuals for the rx4640 on docs.hp.com, but the console input/output/error settings are under the bootconfig options in the EFI boot selection menu.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Daniel --

Also, you may also have to reset the hardware console.

To do so (if it is a 700/92 or 700/96), power down the terminal and hold down the "d" key. Then power it back on while still holding down the "d" key until the count of 5 or so ...

You should get a message that says "Default Configs Used, Press return to clear".

From there you should be able to configure it under EFI.
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

For more details, see this certified document:

IA64KBRC00017057

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/search.do?category=c0&mode=id&searchString=IA64KBRC00017057&searchCrit=allwords&docType=EngineerNotes&search.x=24&search.y=7
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"