4823 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Shutdown the superdome

P Arumugavel
Respected Contributor

Shutdown the superdome

Hi Gurus,

We are planning to relocate the superdome within the DC. I just want to know the sequential procedure to completly power-off the superdome.

Model: ia64 hp superdome server SD32B

There are 2  vPars running on individual npars, means 2 npars and on top of each, one vpar is running. How I will proceed with them to do the complete shut down of the complex.

Thanks...

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

First shutdown all the vpars, then power off the complex.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Holger G
HPE Pro

Hi,

here the procedure in some more detail:

Shutdown all vpars (shutdown –h 0)
Once they are down, power complex off with MP:CM>PE command option B.
Wait 2 minutes, then power off AC power with the main AC breakers at the cabinet.

Relocate the server.

Once all cabling is connected again, power on AC power with the main AC breakers at the cabinet.
Wait 3 minutes, then connect to the MP and power complex on with MP:CM>PE command option B.
If autoboot is on, all partitions should boot up. If autoboot is off, go to console and start partitions from EFI.

Kind Regards

Holger

Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! Star.

- I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise -
P Arumugavel
Respected Contributor

Hi Holger,

Thanks for your reply.

However, I have a doubt. If we shutdown both vpars, still the npar are been up..isn't it?

I mean when you shut down the vpar, it will come to vpmon prompt. Then we need to power off the partition MP:CM>PE command option P... and then we need to power off the complex using B option.. Am I right?

Please correct me if I'm worng..

Holger G
HPE Pro

If you shutdown all vpars, the npar is at VPMON. There is no command to shutdown the vPars Monitor. Because no partitions are running after shutdown -h on all vpars and vPars Monitor is running only in memory, powering off the partition or complex does not corrupt the server’s memory.

So you can just switch off the npars.

Either you switch off npar by npar with MP:CM> PE command P and then 2 minutes later the cabinet (option B).

Or you switch off the cabinet directly, as it will switch off the partitions too.

Note that you might need to switch on npars after you switched on the cabinet later.

P Arumugavel
Respected Contributor

ok, so When I power on the npars after powered on the complex, the vpars will get booted automatically?
Holger G
HPE Pro

As said, if autoboot is on, VPMON and vpars should boot up. If autoboot is off, go to console and start vpmon and virtual partitions from EFI.