5710 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Superdome SX2000

Hasan_9
Regular Advisor

Superdome SX2000

Hello,

Here is a paragraph from "user Service Guide HP Integrity Superdome /SX2000" with DOC Id "A9834-9001D":

" Two backplane N+1 power supplies provide power for the SD16. The four cell boards are connected to one pair of crossbar chips (XBC). The backplane of an SD16 is the same as a backplane of an SD32. On the HUCB utility PCB is a switch set to TYPE= 1"
What does " On the HUCB utility PCB is a switch set to TYPE= 1" mean?
Is it a dip switch which can set to 1 or something else? Is it meean HUCB switch to other value in SD32? Please explain in depth.

Please advice.
Hasan

5 REPLIES 5
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi

this refres to what is called as the "Cabinet Type" switch present on a HUCB.

this is set to "1" in an SD16 as the design (which at the maximum shall configured to 4 Cell Boards)also called Small SD, to be set to "0" for SD32 Cabinet that shall be using the 8 Cell-Boards.
or in other words as put this Switch is set to 1 in SD16 and to 0 in SD32.

regards
sujit
Hasan_9
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for reply. By the way, is there a dip switch on the board to set it to 1 or 0?
Is it possible to change it at all?How?

Regards,
Hasan
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi Hasan,

Sorry, but i need to admit that i do not remember whether that is a DIP switch.
Actually we rarely use that (that can be used while replacing the HUCB !!! just to confirm the switch position and the type of SD the HUCB is being put into).

Also could not get any pic from somewhere of a HUCB board that can tell.

if somehow i visit a SD, i will remeber to have a look at the HUCB board and try to tell you.

regards
sujit
Hasan_9
Regular Advisor

Hi sujit,

According to the below paragraph from a same document, it sounds there is no any dip switch:
â The HUCB, shown in Figure 1-5, is the backplane of the utility subsystem. It provides cable distribution for all the utility signals except the clocks. It also provides the customer LAN interface and serial ports. The support management station (SMS) connects to the HUCB. The system type switch is located on the HUCB. This board has no active circuits. It is not hot-swappable.â

Do you have any idea about this sentence â There are no active circuits on this boardâ ?
Is it meaning that it is not possible to change the type of server manually?

Also here is another paragraph from the same document under the subject of â PM3 functionalityâ :

â The surface mount dip switch on the HUCB (UGUY backplane) is used to configure a Superdome cabinet for normal use or as an SD16 cabinet. Use the 16-position thumb switch on the UGUY to set the cabinet number. Numbers 0-7 are for CPU-oriented cabinets and numbers 8-15 are for I/O-only cabinets.â

I found this thumb switch but it is not on HUCB. It is on UGUY and I think it just change the Cabinet ID which is displayed on Serversâ Door.
As you see there are some conflicts between two paragraphs in a same document!
Do you have any idea about them?

By the way can I have your email address to send you some pictures I have took from the boards?

Thanx
Hasan
Hasan_9
Regular Advisor

Thax