1752770 Members
4800 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Switching between HPUX and LINUX

Kim Tran_4
Frequent Advisor

Switching between HPUX and LINUX

My system has two disks, one is instatlled HPUX 11.23, the other is redhat5. Currently the system is running HPUX. I setboot to the Linux disk, and reboot, but it fails at boot loader. I can bring the system up at EFI level. But I wonder is there a way I can do it when the system is up with HPUX?
5 REPLIES 5
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

I don't think there is a way within HPUX OS OE to switch to Linux after reboot.

You can creat a boot option for Linux ( which I guess might be there ) and select it to boot from.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Indeed, setboot I suspect is geared towards setting up to boot from another HP-UX disc. While it would indeed be convenient to be able to reach-out and touch the EFI boot order configuration, I'm not sure if setboot does that, or simply tweaks stuff for the HP-UX bootloader.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Andrew Merritt_2
Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to change the EFI configuration from outside of the EFI (or if there is, it's new).

If there is a way, I'd like to know, so I don't have to catch my test system on the way up every time to switch into Linux :-)

Andrew
Kim Tran_4
Frequent Advisor

You can use expect script to automate the process. It's not perfect, but in some cases, it works
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

I think it would be a nice to have a way to select the OS which you want to boot off in the next reboot from within the current OS OE in the Multi-OS OE in such situation.

As far as "seboot" is concerned, it does talk to EFI and creats a boot option when used with "-a" or "-h" arguments. However setboot's significance is only limited to HPUX loader.

As per this link http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-5983/ch06s04.html?btnPrev=├В┬л├В prev
I do see one can use "expect scripts" using iLO 2 MP. I am not sure, if one can reach to EFI using such scripts from within a OS or through iLO MP.

Kim,

Have you used expect script to access EFI from within a OS OE?