1753774 Members
6649 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System backplane failed!?

Khalil Hesam
Advisor

System backplane failed!?

The problem is, this rx8620 says that there's no power cord attached to it! it just happend after a system restart without any error before the event.
I thought it's because of dust, but after cleaning the system it still has the problem.
I checked the power cords and they are in great condition, also used them on another rx8620 cabinet and everything was ok.

I've attached the outputs of:
1. console boot time screen
2. after boot event log cleared before boot
3. sysrev
4. ps
9 REPLIES 9
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Power Redundancy : INSUFFICIENT
Power Viability : NOT VIABLE

AC Line status:
Line A0 NOT PRESENT
Line B0 NOT PRESENT
Line A1 NOT PRESENT
Line B1 NOT PRESENT

You say that you have checked the Cables and they are OK, but from above it "appears" that the machine has no input supply.
Therefore, I suspect that either the AC or DC Distribution has failed - hence no power getting to the BPS's.

I suggest logging a call with HP.

Regards,
Phil
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

Also,

From the MP, check the "pwrgrd" command.
Make sure you have your AC inputs as per "pwrgrd"

Regards,
Phil
Khalil Hesam
Advisor

I've attached the cables to my other rx8620 and it worked! so the cables are OK. I also checked the output of the cables with a multimeter and everything was OK. Anyway! if all the cables have problems, how mp works?
I can't work on the system now, but I'll check the pwrgrd command on sunday to see what happens, I'll post the result here!
and thanks!
YAQUB_1
Respected Contributor

Hi Khalil,

I have downloaded Ur attached file, but I can not read this file. BTW, can U send me below action plan output:-

Action Plan:
1. login MP LAN
2. MP>sl------(Show Event Logs)
3. MP:VW>sel--(System Event Log)
4. press D----(Dump log starting at current block for capture and analysis)

Please send me the above output; I will try to send U analysis report soonest.

Thanks--Yaqub
HP Support!!!
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I remember a system with this symptoms having a bad backplane... so you should consider to involve hp support.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Khalil Hesam
Advisor

Hi Yaqub!
the file I attached is a zip file with all the output I wrote in my 1st post.
Also the event log output is in it. I also added a new dump of the log in this post in text format so you can use it easily. I found nothing that interesting in the log myself, but maybe you see something in it. Anyway thanks for trying to help me.
Khalil Hesam
Advisor

Hi Torsten,
1. So you think that it's the backplane's problem as I guessed?
2. If it is, as the guarantee of the system has expired I prefer to know a way to make it work myself. for example upgrading a firmware or something like that which may help. what you suggest?
3. I found two processors with heatsinks on the backplane and changed them with eachother but nothing happened. What are those processors? aren't they the MPs?
Khalil Hesam
Advisor

I also forgot to add that I check the input of all the 6 power supply units and it's OK! As I said in my first post, I used the power supplies, cellboards, core IO, HDDs , IO cards, IO power supplies and also same power cords on another rx cabinet that I have and everything works well. So the fault should be inside the 1st cabinet. As it's not the power wires (I checked the voltages and connectivity as I said) it should be the backplane or the IO board above the backplane (which you plug your IO cards on it). but again as I know, it's just an IO board so it should not fail the system as it is now. The backplane is the only part which is left having the fault as I understand!
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You should not demount any parts from any board, especially if you don't know what they are made for. If the chips are those I'm thinking of, they are for the communication between the cells - don't touch.

So very likely you have a problem with the global power monitor or some related components (integrated into the backplane) - I would still suggest to call HP support.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!