1752568 Members
5424 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: System led blinking

Bhanudas_Mali
Occasional Advisor

System led blinking

Hi i am new in Hp forums as well as for HP Server also. i joined new firm before 2 days. In lab I have  HP (RX2600) server. When I power up that server System Led countinuesly blinking with red color and the same time power led stable with green color. At this time Server cant show any output.  As per Hp booklet these are the symptoms of some hardware failure. But there is no any procedure for resolve the problem. Please help me.

Thanks

Bhanudas

Bhanu
19 REPLIES 19
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Is the System LED amber (orange) or really red?

The booklet is probably just a "Getting Started" guide: the real documentation is available on the HP website.

Go to HP Support Center: http://www.hp.com/go/hpsc

Type in "rx2600" to the product name field and press Enter. Confirm that you want the Integrity rx2600 server.

Then select "Manuals". You'll find the Operations and Maintenance Guide for your server.

Direct link:

h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/action.process/public/psi/manualsDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=447335&javax.portlet.action=true&spf_p.tpst=psiContentDisplay&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&spf_p.prp_psiContentDisplay=wsrp-interactionState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c01868329%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

The "Troubleshooting" chapter (starting from page 109) has instructions on interpreting the LEDs. On page 112, it says a blinking System LED is either System Alert 7 or a fatal hardware error.

The next step will depend on if this server has the iLO MP management card installed or not. Refer to pages 41-52 for accessing the iLO MP if it exists: connect a serial terminal (or a laptop with a terminal emulator program) to the MP console connector, and then press Ctrl-B on the terminal to access the iLO MP login prompt. The factory default username/password is Admin/Admin. Once logged in, use the SL command to view the hardware log as instructed on page 112.

If there is no iLO MP, then at least some of the front panel diagnostic LEDs labelled 1-4 should be lit. The table for interpreting these LEDs starts on page 114.

Note that the iLO MP is only accessible using either a serial port connection or the special iLO network port: a VGA display will not be useful for that.

MK
Bhanudas_Mali
Occasional Advisor

Very Thanks for reply

As per your suggestion i tryed to connect with MP port for trubleshuting. but i didn't get any output on Hyperterminal. As per manual i use 25 Pin Serial port of server to my personal desktop with 9 pin com port. Iconfigured Hyper terminal with the help of manual then I restart the server but i cant get any output on Hyper terminal.

Then i tryed another option that is LED. When i Switched on Server then, Power led stable with Green and System Led blinking with RED Color (2/Sec.) and all 4 Leds are OFF. As per manual there is fault. But which fault?. 

And lastly i am not able to access MP Port also. i tryed with both 25 pin and 9 pin serial ports of server. But Hyper terminal doesn't show any output.

And Last when i removed RAM from the server then i am not getting any beep from server.

How i can sure that there is no problem with RAM?

Please reply again

I am waiting for your Reply.

Bhanu
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Bhanu wrote>> As per manual i use 25 Pin Serial port of server to my personal desktop with 9 pin com port.

You need to use the 24pin to 3x 9pin adapter cable delivered with your server. Connect this cable to the 24pin port.  From this adapter cable you need to use the 9pin connector labeld "console".

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bhanudas_Mali
Occasional Advisor

Hi thanks for reply

There is no any port at backside of server having 24 Pins. Server having 25 Pin Port.

Just before some time i again go through the manual. Their i read, if you press power button for 3-5 second you got e -beeps. When i did that then i got 3 E-beeps. That beep point for Memory fault. Then i filled all RAM slots with 256mb. I.e 256 x 9.

After that i switched on server. Now System Led blink with orange (1/sec). But then also i am not getting any output on Monitor.

Please Reply

Bhanu
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

A terminal connection works very differently from a VGA display.

When you connect a VGA display cable to a PC, if the PC is displaying any kind of image, you will see it as soon as you switch the display on: the VGA port is continuously sending the whole current picture. But a serial port sends data only when the "display" is changing: if the MP is already started up and waiting for your input when you connect the serial cable, you will see nothing. In this situation, you should press Enter once or twice after connecting the cable. When the MP detects your input, it will send a "MP login:" prompt to your terminal. Then you can log in to the MP (probably using the default passwords I already mentioned).

You can see the server output only after logging in to the MP and using the CO command to enter the Console mode: just connecting the cable does not allow you to see anything, not even the boot output.

The orange System LED just indicates that you should log in to the MP and use the SL command to read the hardware error log. Once you've read the log, the System LED should automatically turn green unless there is still a problem.

MK
Bhanudas_Mali
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Now i got the MP Login and there i can see  Log details. SL Logs 100% full. When i go through that logs i can't understand it. The logs are in some diffrent format, they are not Human readable. I cleared logs and restart server but the problem not solved. I can't got output on Monitor. But when i used Serial cable (9 Pin Both side Server and laptop) then i got booting process is on Hyper terminal. That means Server boot successfully but it not showing any output on Monitor.

please suggest for trubleshoot problem.

Bhanu
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

So you don't have a real problem. The console is set to the serial device and you should NOT change this. You can access the console via serial line or via MP from anywhere on your network. If you want to use VGA as another input device, you should configure it as an X screen like this:

Check /etc/dt/config/Xservers.

If last line is commented out as follows:

# * Local local@console /usr/bin/X11/X :0

remove '# ' and restart dtlogin:

# /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc stop

# /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc start

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bhanudas_Mali
Occasional Advisor

Just before 5 minute. i again gone through the Serial console connection. I mean to say i connect Server to Laptop with 9 pin com port and start monitor Hyper terminal process of my laptop after switched on server. Server Hard disk having Linux OS. After motherboard booting Linux os also start booting. After some time os hault before login terminal.

At this step i can access that server using Open SSH form other Server. That means OS boot successfully, But when i connect Monitor i can't see any display on Monitor.

is there any fault in Display card or any thing else?. Monitor is OK, i checked with other Server.

Please reply

Bhanu
Bhanudas_Mali
Occasional Advisor

Where is /etc/dt/config/xserver file?
Bhanu