108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UNABLE TO ACCESS THE DVD-ROM DRIVE IN THE WINDOWS2003 64-BIT EE

SOLVED
Go to solution
SIVAKUMAR.P
Frequent Advisor

UNABLE TO ACCESS THE DVD-ROM DRIVE IN THE WINDOWS2003 64-BIT EE

Site details & config : Itanium rx2600 / windows 2003 64bit ent.Edn.

Problem Desc.: the DVD_ROM drive is not working properly.

Action taken:
First I tried to detect the DVD-ROM drive in windows, it is not detecting. Then we have replaced the new DVD-ROM and checked in the
device manager, it detecting the new hardware found, but the exclamation mark is appeared in the drive name. In properties shows that the driver is not loaded properly.
Then,I update the server firmware and check for the DVD-ROM drive functionality in EFI partition. Then I upgraded the server firmware from ver.2.21 to ver.2.29. And checked in EFI partition, the drive
is working properly.

Finally, our conclusion is that there is no hardware problem, it might be a problem with driver related issues. Please suggest me.

Here i attached the snapshot.
24/7 SUPPORT Mobile.No:919841509428
2 REPLIES 2
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Sivakumar,

i compared the screenshots with a RX2600 with same cd/dvd drive and it works fine with the cdrom.sys version 5.2.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447).

I can't compare from before installing W2K3 SP1 anymore but can't remember that it showed this issue.

I also noticed that i have more TAB's in the
properties i.e. their is a REGION tab (for the DVD region) on top of the TAB's in the properties from your screenshots taken in device manager.

Maybe try to copy the cdrom.sys again from your original CD install media since the screenshot seems to imply this could be due to a corrupted file also. (in file cams2.jpg).

The fact it works at EFI level means the drive H/W is ok and EFI uses another driver to access the drive, so this must be a S/W issue in Windows.

HTH

Kris
SIVAKUMAR.P
Frequent Advisor

Hi kris rombauts,

Thanks for your Guidance,

Once again We are update the firmware and reinstalled the Service pack1.

The DVD-ROM DRIVE Problem Solved, The Server is Working Satisfactory.

Update Firmware Details:
MP FW : E.0313
BMC FW : 03.47
EFI FW : 03.10
SYSTEM FW : 03.10

Windows Server2003-Service pack details.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/ThankYou.aspx?familyId=890c5c44-815c-45bd-8b08-4fe901bb8fdf&displayLang=en

Once again thanks to kris rombauts for his excellent support.

Thanks and Regards
Shiva.P
24/7 SUPPORT Mobile.No:919841509428