cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to change hardware without OS reinstall

ItaniumBob
Advisor

Unable to change hardware without OS reinstall

I have an rx2660. I am running some hardware tests which involve adding/removing HBAs. But every time I do, I have to reinstall the base OS (which is Windows Server 2003, 2008, or 2008 R2 Itanium). First, why does every time I make a hardware change, the OS in the boot list disappears? Secondly, how do I prevent it from disappearing? All I did was change an HBA which I only care about from a Windows perspective. Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Unable to change hardware without OS reinstall

No idea why you reinstall.
Just to be safe, you should always keep a copy of the EFI boot entry.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3346452&prodNameId=3346453&swEnvOID=54&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ux-71168-1

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Identify the HBA drivers. What happens to them?
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Bob,

cold you provide more detail about the issue after you change a HBA and specify what HBA you change ?

Is it the Windows 2003/2008 boot entry that is gone from the boot menu ?
If that is the case, you can import the boot file again using the nvrboot utility available in fs1:\MSUtil and use the I(import) option. To be sure the boot varibles are backed up and available on your EFI partition, start the nvrboot before you change hardware and E(export) the EFI boot menu in a file on the EFI partition.

Would be interesting to understand what HBA's you add/remove as that should not change anything to the NVRAM contents in the system unless you change the whole systemboard.

Kris