108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to get a console prompt on rx4640

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Carback
Frequent Advisor

Unable to get a console prompt on rx4640

Have installed a new rx4640 w/ HP-UX 11i v2. When I boot up I am unable to get a console prompt. I attached a VGA monitor to the vga port and keyboard and mouse to the usb converter (Y-mouse) that came with the server and connected the usb converter to the 1st usb port on the 4640.
I also tried connecting a crossover cable from a laptop to the MP port (RJ45) using hyperterminal (9600,8,N,1) and in either case cannot get any kind of MP or EFI prompts when powering up. Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Unable to get a console prompt on rx4640

Hi Bob,

you need a serial cable to connect to the server and configure an IP address to the MP.

The settings are OK (9600,8,N,1), but this works only over serial cable, not over RJ45.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

more info can be found here:

http://docs.hp.com/en/5187-2725/ch04s03.html

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bob Carback
Frequent Advisor

So can I use an RJ45 crossover cable with a 9pin connector on each end and connect from the com1 port on my laptop to the 9pin console port on the 4640?
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can not use RJ45 cross-over cable meant for ethernet network communication. However, you can use the cable which comes alongwith router having RJ45 connectors at both ends (meant for serial communication) plugged into 9-pin D connectors. Connect one end at "local" port of MP and other to laptop port. Use hyperterminal with those communication parameters and "vt100" emulation to get the MP interface.

I am not sure what was the "system console" configured initially in your case , maybe VGA monitor. If the VGA is not working for some reason, the disconnect the monitor and USB keyboard/mouse connections and use MP port. This would make the EFI console to MP serial port. Then you can try to get the EFI interface from MP through MP > CO
Bob Carback
Frequent Advisor

used a console cable (rj45) with 9-pin (D) connecters on each end and connected from laptop com1 to MP ports