6244 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to update rx2600 system firmware

Dave Parker_7
Occasional Advisor

Unable to update rx2600 system firmware

Hi,

I am trying to do an offline firmware update on two rx2600s. I have booted from a CD with an ISO image and I get as far as seeing the following message:

HPOFM located on removable media device at 'fs0:\EFI\BOOT\'

At this point, nothing more happens and the console doesn't respond to input. This is happening on two systems and with two different CDs with (presumably) the same image. I have connected using Reflection terminal emulator (VT102) with Telnet and a serial connection, with the same results.

My current FW revisions are:
Firmware revision report

MP FW : E.02.10
BMC FW : 01.40
EFI FW : 01.22
System FW : 01.82

I burned the CD using Roxio after double-clicking the .iso file on my laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
Dave
8 REPLIES 8
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you are trying to update to the current version directly, this could be normal.

You didn't read the instructions, did you?

You have to update to MP FW E.02.29 prior to go to the current release. Get the previous version and also read the instructions for other dependencies.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dave Parker_7
Occasional Advisor

Aha. I see the CAUTION now. I was thrown by the reference to iLO MP firmware and had thought it was different from the MP firmware. I missed the note that followed that reference.

Thanks for pointing it out. I should have caught that.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

BTW, once you get the firmware revs "high enough" and you happen to be running HP-UX on the system, some of the later hops can be done via HP-UX patches.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Dave Parker_7
Occasional Advisor

Reopening thread as I've gotten stuck trying to install the 02.31A System Firmare.

I've tried this with the same results on 4 rx2600 systems. My firmware is now at:

SYSREV

Current firmware revisions

MP FW : E.02.29
BMC FW : 01.40
EFI FW : 01.22
System FW : 01.82

I installed MP 2.26 via FTP and then updated to 2.29 via an ISO image CD install. I'm trying to install the latest version but getting stuck with the message that was in my original post.

I have removed AC power after each update.

What have I overlooked? My understanding is that I needed to have 2.29 installed to complete this last update.
Dave Parker_7
Occasional Advisor

I never got the update to work through the ISO image.

However, thanks to Rick's tip, I did get the firmware installed using the HPUX patch.

Thanks!
Dave Parker_7
Occasional Advisor

HPUX patch used to install latest firmware revision.
unixspice

Hi, I've got exactly the same problem, managed to get to 02.29 then got the same error message. Could you tell point me in the direction of the HP-UX O/S patches. Cheers, Andrew
Dave Parker_7
Occasional Advisor

Andrew, you want patch PHSS_32822. The instructions are included in the patch and are well documented.

Note: I actually had two systems (out of 12) that would not update the firmware using the HPUX patch. There are a list of conditions described in the patch as to why this may be but I never found the one that applied to mine.

For those two systems, I used the EFI update without any problems.

Happy updating!!