108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Updating MP Firmware Issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gunther Schulze
Frequent Advisor

Updating MP Firmware Issues

I have several Integrity servers I'm trying to update the MP FW on. I have 2 x rx2600's at MP FW level 223, and 1 x rx4640 at MP FW level 226.

I've tried to update the rx2600's from 223 to 226 by setting up an FTP server, per the instructions. After the first ROM image loads, it fails.

Similarly, when I try to update the rx4640 from 226 to 229 with swinstall, per the instructions, it fails stating that it could not access the .efi file in the /usr directory. I've checked and it's there. I'm logged in as root.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The end goal is to get these servers to 315.

Thanks!
The only constant in life is change.
10 REPLIES 10
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: Updating MP Firmware Issues

Hi Gunther,

I guess something is wrong being followed in procedure.
What error you get in case of rx2600 after frist ROM image is loaded?

Refer following links for proper procedures
for various types of fw images.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=88839&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=447335&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

I have had to put link for rx4640 upgrade procedure in second post as only one link work in a single post. Second link gives
"We are sorry!!!"

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=346361&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=88837&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54
Gunther Schulze
Frequent Advisor

Hi, thanks for sending the links...this is actually where I downloaded the files and the instructions.

There is no error for the rx2600 upgrade. Again, it finishes loading the first ROM, and states that the installation failed.

With the rx4640, after running swinstall on the PHSS patch, and the installation suspends. I look at the logfile, and it states that it can't access the .efi file in /usr. I've looked in /usr, and the file is there. I even changed permissions (777) and this didn't help.
Marco Hogeveen
Honored Contributor

Gunther,

The problem might be in your FTP server.
There are 3 files necessary for the Firmware upgrade to complete. The MP downloads the first file and then starts flashing, after a few minutes it wants to download the second file. What might happen is that the idle timeout of your ftp server has disconnected your current session before the MP can start downloading the second file (On some ftp servers the anonymous idle timeout is 5 minutes which is too short for MP Firmware upgrades). Please increase your idle timeout to 15 minutes and give it another try.

Hope this helps,

Marco
Alan_152
Honored Contributor
Solution

Actually, you need a TFTP server, not an FTP server.
Gunther Schulze
Frequent Advisor

For the rx4640, the TFTP server and not using an FTP server (even though the instructions state this on the HP website) was the fix.

I still can't figure out what the issue is with the rx4640. I downloaded the PHSS_30680 patch to upgrade from 226 to 229 and it fails.
Gunther Schulze
Frequent Advisor

The TFTP server was the fix for the rx2600's. HP needs to update their documentation to state a TFTP server vs. a FTP server.

Still can't figure out the issue with the rx4640, however. I downloaded the PHSS_30860 patch, and when it's installing, it fails stating it can't find the .efi file in /usr even though it's there.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Hmmm... the current MP fw update file I have is mp_e0315.efi. For ver 229, the file is called fweupdate.mpE0229.efi ...
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Oh, also, I go ahead and put the efi files in the /boot/efi directory under my Linux OS, in a subdirectory called "mp_efi". Saves a lot of trouble in mounting the right drive, since presumably for a working system fs0: will be correctly mapped by EFI.