Integrity Servers
1753466 Members
4660 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Using Crucial (Micron) memory in HP servers - warranty?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Zane Wilson

Using Crucial (Micron) memory in HP servers - warranty?

I have received mixed messages from HP regarding whether I can put Crucial memory into HP servers without affecting the warranty.

HP branded memory is manufactured by Micron. Micron's direct-retail arm is Crucial. If you look at Crucial and HP DIMMs of the same spec, they have identical Micron stickers and part numbers on the left on the DIMM - all that differs is the HP or Crucial sticker & part number on the right (see attachment of similar but not identical DIMMs from Crucial and HP).

As such, what is the rationale for dis-allowing use of Micron-branded memory in HP servers?

I have been told variously that
1) using Micron-branded memory in HP servers voids the warranty
2) using Micron-branded memory in HP servers does not void the warranty, but HP reserves the right to insist that problems investigated under warranty can be reproduced using HP-stickered memory
3) using non-HP branded memory in HP servers is ok and doesn't affect the warranty at all

Can anyone provide some clarity?
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Using Crucial (Micron) memory in HP servers - warranty?

Zane,

Who have you been told these 3 different repsonses by? All HP people, or just folks you work with? You should request a formal written response.

In all my dealings the answer has always been your #2. I.e. if you start to see unexplained problems/issues associated with data corruptions and/or system panics, you can expect HP at some point to request that you take the non-HP DIMMs out of the machine as part of the troubleshooting process. Some customers buy a server with just one pair or quad (depends on the model) of HP DIMMs and then fill the rest out with non-HP DIMMs.

But I don't represent the HP hardware support organisation, so you should seek an answre direct from them.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Solution

Re: Using Crucial (Micron) memory in HP servers - warranty?

Ahhh looks like there's a nice formal explanation in this doc:

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA0-4216ENW.pdf

Nortably on p6:

Installing third-party memory does not void the server warranty; however, HP will not replace third-party memory if it is identified to be the cause of a system failure. Customers are responsible for any parts or labor required to repair a system where third-party memory is the cause of failure.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo