New Discussion

Where is the Efi configuration stored in rx7640 and rx8640 servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
likid0
Honored Contributor

Where is the Efi configuration stored in rx7640 and rx8640 servers

Hello,

I have a doubt, after changing a cell in a rx7640 server, we lost the efi config(boot disks,vpar env,lun scan options,etc).

I was wondering, where is the efi configuration saved, in the nvram of the mp?, on the firmware of the cells, on both like in a superdome?.

Also Is there a Doc or someone can explain, how do the master and slave mp's work with each other to save the complex config/etc.

For example if I do a factory reset on the master mp, does it replicate all the changes to the slave mp?.

Thanks!.

Windows?, no thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Holger G
HPE Pro

Re: Where is the Efi configuration stored in rx7640 and rx8640 servers

Hello,

on HP Integrity rx7640 and rx8640 Servers the boot options are saved in NVRAM of the core cell of the partition (npar).

If you replace a cell board, the CLM (cell local memory), fpar, acpiconfig and RTC (real time clock) settings and the boot options may be lost.
So before the shutdown check CLM values on the npar with "parstatus -V -c cell#", and if vpar is used also for each vpar with "vparstatus -p <PartionName> -v". Boot to EFI and check the fpar, RTC and acpiconfig settings, if you are not sure what it is set to.
Save the boot options at EFI to a local disk with variable command or with NVRBOOT utility for Windows.

Kind Regards

Holger

I am an HP employee.
Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! Star.

- I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise -
likid0
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

So if I understand your answer correctly, in a rx7640 for example with 2 npars, the efi boot config for npar  0 in on cell 0, and for npar1 for cell 1.

I guess not but, Would it be possible to loose any of this config also by replacing the MP/core io?

My other question then is, if I do a factory reset on MP(master), would all the info get sincronized with the slave MP and loose all the network/user configuration?

Thanks

Windows?, no thanks
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

> Would it be possible to loose any of this config also by replacing the MP/core io?

Not if its done properly.  The MP/Core IO should be replaced with the cells in a Boot Is Blocked state (Use the RR command on each nPar to do this).   At this point hot-swap the MP/Core IO board and the data in the partition and complex profiles (UUID, model and serial #, etc) should copy over.  Use the MP Command 'ID' to confirm.

> My other question then is, if I do a factory reset on MP(master), would all the info get sincronized with the slave MP and loose all the network/user configuration?

What do you mean by "factory reset"?  If you mean setting defaults by running the MP command 'DC', then what is affected is MP settings only (MP LAN and MP user data will be cleared).  The command does a good job in alerting you as to what settings will be affected - you can even pick and choose).

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Holger G
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

one remark: We are talking about two different sets of data here:

- The boot options of the related npar are saved in NVRAM on the core cell of that partition. A backup should be stored by the customer on a local disk (usually the boot disk EFI partition) with EFI Shell variable command.

- The complex profile (platform and partition configuration) is stored on the cells and the Master MP. So if the MP is exchanged, the data is copied back from the cells, and vice versa.

Kind Regards

Holger

I am an HP employee.
Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! Star.

- I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise -