Did you mean: 

api.log

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paolo Milani
Occasional Visitor

api.log

Hello,
we have a server RP4440 running on Unix B.11.11, this server has also a MSA 30 equipped with COMPAQ BF0368A4B9 external disks. In the api.log we find the following event: Process ID: 2439 (/usr/sbin/stm/uut/bin/tools/.../disk_em) Log Level: Error
The device (0/6/1/0.9.0) answered selection but the command did not complete.

Possible Cause(s)/Recommended Action(s)

The request is not supported by the device.

Incorrect specification of the SCSI command descriptor block, particularly th
e command length. This is an internal application error.
The ioscan command output says that the related disk is claimed. Does this event indicate a possible faulty disk?
Kind Regards,
Paolo.
3 REPLIES 3
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: api.log

Hi,

this only means that the diagnostics (disk_em) was not able to talk to the disk 0/6/1/0.9.0 .

If you have no other problems with this disk, then i would suggest to update the Online Diagnostics to the newest revision, which can be done online.
It may also be that the BF0368A4B9 disks have an incompatible firmware ?
You can check the firmware revision with diskinfo -v /dev/rdsk/cXtYd0

Acc. to
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00305257&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

the current firmware for this drive type is HPB9

Check the diagnostics version with
swlist -l product Sup-Tool-Mgr

You can download the newest Online Diag from
http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B6191AAE

best regards
Stefan
Paolo Milani
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Stefan for your reply.
I ran the diskinfo -v /dev/rdsk/c6t9d0 command, but it didn't return any information, the diskinfo process is now hanging and I can't kill it (the same for the ioscan one).
Kind Regards,
Paolo.

Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hi Paolo,

this sounds indeed like a real hardware problem. I hope your data is mirrored and you have a recent backup ...
If yes, then I would recommend to unplugg the disk in the MSA30 for some seconds, this should result in an I/O error and the diskinfo and ioscan should stop.
If resinserting the disk does not make it accessible again (ioscan -f), then you have to replace this disk.
If more than one disk on this SCSI bus have the same problem, then you may have a SCSI bus problem which can be caused by anything on this SCSI bus (driver, HBA, cable, MSA30, any disk). Maybe you should involve the HP support then.

best regards

Stefan