New Discussion юеВ

change of Virtual CPU on a VM guest

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michele Tomassi
Advisor

change of Virtual CPU on a VM guest

Hi everybody, I have the following topic to submit:

can the change of virtual CPU on a VM guest (OS HP 11.23)hosted on an HP Integrity Server, performed through the command hpvmmodify, occur dinamically or is the restart of VM needed?
From technical documentation it seems that, in command hpvmmodify, -A option can't be linked to -c flag (the following syntax is shown: hpvmmodify -A {-P vm_name | -p vm_number} [-F] [-l vm_label] [-B start_attr] [-[e percent | -E cycles]] [- [-a rsrc]] ... [-m rsrc] ... [-d rsrc] )
Unfortunately I have only a rx1620 server with 1 physical CPU, so I can't try it.
Any answer will be appreciated. Thanks
Michele
4 REPLIES 4
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor

Re: change of Virtual CPU on a VM guest

Hi Michele,

From the documentation of Virtual Machine,

Integrity VM creates up to three guest configuration files:
├в ┬в vmm_config.current contains the current guest configuration currently set.
├в ┬в vmm_config.prev contains the last known guest configuration settings.
├в ┬в vmm_config.next contains the configuration settings that have changed since the guest was started.
To initiate these changes, you must reboot the guest.

regards,
Sandy
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
Michele Tomassi
Advisor

Hi Sandy,
thanks for your answer and your details, but I didn't solve completely my issue. May be I was not clear in my question.
I would simply to know simply if the change of virtual CPU on a VM guest on an Integrity Server can be performed without rebooting the VM guest. I'm aware that command to be used is hpvmmodify.

Best regards
Michele
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Michele,

To just execute the command you don't have to shutdown the guest, but the command will not take any effect until the guest is rebooted. I hope this clear enough

regards,
Sandy
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
Michele Tomassi
Advisor

Hi Sandy,
very clear answer!
Thanks
Michele