Integrity Servers
1753859 Members
7442 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cx2620 Server - Power Surge protected?

Hiroshi Leong
Occasional Advisor

cx2620 Server - Power Surge protected?

Hi Guys,

I have a CX2620 server that recently became non responsive after a power surge. It was only after the power cables were completely removed and plugged back in, the server became operational again.

Is there a reason for this?

I thought maybe the power supply has a surge protector build into it or something?

Regards
Hiroshi
7 REPLIES 7
Mike Shilladay
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

We have had problems exactly like you describe - only occasionally. (twice in ten years with over 30 servers). But the best way to protect this kind of thing happening is to get surge protection on the power supply. There are devices to do this just for surge protection, or you could get UPS with surge protection built in. Dual conversion UPS's are good for this, in laymans terms the power is cleaned before distribution to the appliances.

Mike.
Hiroshi Leong
Occasional Advisor

The answer does not really help but thanks anyhow!

I am looking for an answer or document that I can use to explain to another person as to why the power cables on server needed to be pulled out.

Regards
HL
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Presumably if there were such features in the power supplies of the rx2660 they would be discussed somewhere in either docs.hp.com or at the pages one can find under http://www.hp.com/go/rx2660 .

Otherwise I would chalk it up to the system getting into a state where only a full power loss - remember somethings like the MP/BNC (?) remain powered while the cords are connected - could clear it. I'm assuming you already tried to communicate with the console via both network and lan and tried whatever the docs suggest to reset the MP (I'm assuming there is a procedure to reset the MP other than pulling the power cords)
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Hiroshi Leong
Occasional Advisor

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the link. I looked up the CX2620 server documents and found it very interesting.

However, it still does not answer my question.

Is there a technical document on the power supply in the CX 2620 server? What is the product number of the power supply?

Big points for anyone that can find this document!!

Regards
Hiroshi

rick jones
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure if there are any docs on the power supply of the rx2660. However, the HP part number would probably show-up in a parts listing for the rx2660's product number at partsurfer.hp.com.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

The p/n of the power supply is
0957-2181 PWR-SPLY POWER-700W NO.-OF-OUTPUTS-2

I don't see any specific document about the power supply of this server on HP public websites neither a mention if it is
surge-tolerant or not. However I do see the server specs available at
http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/carrier_grade/products/cx2620/index.html

The server is carrier-grade server and meets the strict durability and reliability requirements of Central Office computing.
It is compliant with
* NEBS NRTL Certified to SR-3580, NEBS Level 3 Criteria
* GR-63-CORE
* GR-1089-CORE

Now I don't see any document (maybe IEEE) publicly available especially about GR-1089-CORE which is a standard for Emissions Control (EMC) and Electrical Safety. It involves:

* System-level Electrostatic Discharge
* Electromagnetic Interference
* Lightning and AC Power Fault
* Electrical Safety Criteria
* Bonding and Grounding

Refer this link as well. I wish I could find the whole document.
http://telecom-info.telcordia.com/ido/AUX/GR_1089_TOC.i04.pdf

I do think the GR-1089-CORE document would be helpful to understand the behaviour which you have came across.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

well i feel silly - how I kept thinking rx2660 when this was cx2620 I've no idea...