Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

efi lanboot automation

RafS
HPE Pro

efi lanboot automation

Hello,
I need to automate the hp-ux os's provisioning by operation orchestration.
Is it possible to use ssh to connect to EFI-shell, launch a script to invoke lanboot command to restore an Ignite UX image to a ia64 client with HP-UX?

Regards
Raffaele
5 REPLIES 5
Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Re: efi lanboot automation

Hi,
probably not as much as you want.

You can connect to the console via ssh, but not directly to the EFI shell - the EFI shell has no network. So you need to find a solution to enter all the needed commands on the console.

For the lanboot commands you can use dbprofile to automate the details of lanboot but the actually starting of 'lanboot select -dn ' has to be done by hand.

As far as i know there is no way to get the same behavior as f.e. windows silent install.

hth
Stephan
RafS
HPE Pro

Hi Stephan,
I agree with, but exist a way to assign an ip address to EFI, the problem is that there is not a sshd to connect to. I send you this(http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/563):

To enable networking at EFI on Integrity (and here assuming the OpenVMS I64 EFI directory structures and organization), first summon the EFI editor:

fs0:\efi\vms\tools> edit startup_net.nshEnter the following into this file:

load \efi\vms\tools\tcpipv4.efi
\efi\vms\tools\ifconfig lo0 inet 127.0.0.1
\efi\vms\tools\ifconfig sni0 inet netmask
\efi\vms\tools\route add default You will need to insert an IP address, netmask and gateway appropriate for this host and your network.

And yes, thereâ s an FTP client down there.

...there is only an ftp client ;-(

Regards Raffaele

Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Hi Raffaele,
to be honest you know already more then me (even if you link shows access denied)... i never digged so deep into the EFI due to the fact even if you get networking - who enter the commands for it or who/how do you start the EFI on power on?

All of my customers just let an operator use the console for installing, start EFI, start lanboot with dbprofile and rest is done by custom Ignite scripts.

Best,
Stephan
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You can start a LAN stack on EFI, but there are no daemons for listening, only the telnet and ftp clients.

Normally you create a dbprofile for use with lanboot, you may even create a boot entry for such boot. Ignite provides a procedure for forcing a running host to reboot and start a network restore.

I'm not sure what exactly you want to do.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I would think that telnet'ing/ssh'ing to the MP/iLO and connecting to the console via an "expect" script or the like would be the way one could then issue the lanboot command and go from there.

If the system to be lanbooted already has an HP-UX OS running upon it, perhaps there is a way to use the setboot command to set-up the next boot as being via the/a LAN interface.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows