4137 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: having problems with serial console in rx1600

Mika Hokkanien
Honored Contributor

having problems with serial console in rx1600

Hi,
I just got a rx1600 Itanium server and seems there is Debian Linux installed. I'd like to install HP-UX11.23 over there but have some problems with console.
When server boots up, it gives me a prompt and gives 4 options, which one of them is boot from DVD. It says, use ^ or v in order to chose.
Problem is that I can't walk through these options and any of my tried keys doesn't work.
For the connection I use serial console and HyperTerminal application. I tried AutoDetect, V100, V100J, ANSI consoles in settings but didn't work.
Please, give me some suggestions how to make it work :(
15 REPLIES 15
Mika Hokkanien
Honored Contributor

Sorry, forgot some more details:
when server boots up and existing Linux prompts for a username and password I can print with my keyboard.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Mika,
I don't understand the exact trouble. After Debian Linux booted you can type username and password and you are able to see username echo. Is it true?
If yes, I understand your serial connection works fine.
In this case, may be your HyperTerm can't display booting option. At boot level, console must be VT100 (no autodetect, please). When you type ^ or v, firmware send control esacape sequence to display cursor. Warning, console can work even if you can't see screen formatted, so after you saw where id boot from DVD, press V exactly (n - 1) times to choice this voice. For example, if boot from DVD is 3th choice of menu, press two times v and then press return.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Mika Hokkanien
Honored Contributor

Antoniov, you are right, I can input login (but I don't know psswd) but I need to boot server from DVD. But my problem is that keys v and ^ doesn't work. Cursor just stays still on first option line.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Mika,

check the settings for the console. Have a look at this

http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00112279/c00112279.pdf

HTH!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Mika,
when you power on rx1600 you have to supply MP username and password (default is Admin). So your keyboard is working fine.
After of this you should see a boot choices menu; cursor, usually in at bottom screen. I had experience, cursor is not well visibile, you don't see it!
Look at menu list and press slowly v to move invisible cursor on boot form DVD item. Then press RETURN.
I bet this works for you.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Mika Hokkanien
Honored Contributor

Thanks for suggestions, but it seems I do something wrong.I've got prompt for a boot option selection (nowhere I was asked for a password), and I've tried to press v two times and then "RETURN" (Enter) but Debian booted up.

EFI Boot Manager ver 1.10 [14.61] Firmware ver 1.10 [4341]

Please select a boot option

Debian GNU/Linux
EFI Shell [Built-in]
DVD
Boot Option Maintenance Menu
System Configuration Menu

Use ^ and v to change option(s). Use Enter to select an option
Loading.: Debian GNU/Linux
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Mika,
I'm amazed.
You can see the menu list without strange codes so I understand you set your HyperTerm as VT100 and it's right.
Also, your EFI and boot manager are recent. I have build 4411, you have 4341, but I don't think this is important for your purpose.
In your report you don't display time-out for choicing menu. You report

Use ^ and v to change option(s). Use Enter to select an option
Loading.: Debian GNU/Linux

I intend system don't wait for your choice, it boots immediatly. So you have to break bootstrap cycle; if I remember you must press Ctrl + C continously.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Mika,

what kind of IO-device (Terminal) your are using? Did you check the console settings? There are input, output and error device to be configured - perhaps your console is only configured as output device, so no input is possible.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Torsten,
if you carefully read thread, you know Mika can type username and can see echo when Linux is started. So his console configuration is absolutely fine.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti