Integrity Servers
1752767 Members
5492 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO? where's the console? I hit F8 key on...WHAT.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

iLO? where's the console? I hit F8 key on...WHAT.

I might be getting an rx4640.
I guess it has a network port for iLO.
I looked at a manual on how to use iLO.
But the FIRST step does not make sense.

1. Power up the computer.
2. Hit the F8 key. What F8 key? What keyboard? What interface?

I can poke my finger repeatedly in the AIR, but that won't work.

My GUESS, is I plug a network cord to the normal network into this iLO network port. Then I run "telnet X.X.X.X" from my PC (on the same network) to get to it. But the network address is completely unknown isn't it?

It looks like there's a HUGE step missing here.
Obviously you need to have some means to talk to the computer. I just don't see it. I don't have one of these boxes in my hands. I bet the answer is obvious. I bet I look like a complete fool to ask such an inane question.

But....
To hit an F8 key, you actually need to have SOME type of keyboard AND a some type of connection to the computer....right?

9 REPLIES 9
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

You looked in a ProLiant iLO manual. You need to check documentation for the rx4640. The Integrity management processor has recently undergone a naming and UI overhaul to make it more consistent with the ProLiant iLO, but, as you point out, some things are by needs different because HP-UX systems don't always (or usually) have local KVM. I don't recall if it comes set for DHCP (and it sounds like you might be inheriting one from somewhere else, so it may have been changed anyway), but you can always connect a null-modem serial cable to the proper port and get access that way.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

On the rx4640 you can connect three ways to the management section.

1. direct cable connect to the rear of the server.

2. telnet session to the assigned IP of the MP. (assuming you've configured it, CTRL-B, CM, LC)

3. browse to it with your favorite browser, using the IP as the URL. This will give you the nice, GUI version.

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Here's a good document, with pictures, about HP9000 servers and ILO.

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00307512/c00307512.pdf

I hope it helps.

Good Luck - Tim

(By the way, did I detect just a LITTLE bitty bit of sarcasm in that original post?!?!) grin
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

ok. I plug a terminal into the serial port. Then I can do stuff like set up an ip address, or network subnet mask, or turn on (or off) DHCP, or do all the other stuff I need to do.......

Because my fingers would be typing on a standard hp terminal. My eyes would be seeing the reponses on a typical black and white screen.

But let me ask one other question. BEFORE this point, withOUT a terminal, I can NOT telnet to the box because, even though it would HAVE an IP address, I wouldn't know it.

Would its subnet be set automatically based on the network switch I plug it into? I'll assume that is the case. But still it seems a little hard to get to the box.

Let me ask it more obviously.....
Let's say the box has ip address 10.22.33.44 that was set up via dhcp.

From a PC on the same subnet, I would have to run
telnet 10.22.33.01 ...nope. not it.
telnet 10.22.33.02 ...nope. not it either.
Then I repeat this process 44 times until...
telnet 10.22.33.44 ..AH! there it is.

This doesn't seem right either.

How can you know the ip address of the box enough to telnet into it?
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

yep. I live and breath sarcasm. Most of the time my questions seem trivial and simple. This turns into unanswered and undocumented quickly. It's usually the main, key cornerstone concept that must be known before ANY tiny portion of the instruction book will apply. THAT's when the sarcasm hits.

You know, like if you own a car: "how do you open the door to the car?"

Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Oh this says it in a nutshell.... Page 26 of the manual.

"Interacting with the MP Command Line Interface
To interact with the management processor, perform the following steps:
Step 1. If you are connecting to MP through telnet or SSH, open a connection to MP using the IP address of
the MP LAN port. You are automatically connected using the local or remote RS-232C ports.
Step 2. Log in using your management processor user account name and password."

This IP address is??????

So I went back a few pages where it talked about all the menus you have for setting stuff like the ip address. But you can't see them or use them if you can't connect.

Ok. I can deduce two methods.
1. just plug in a terminal. That's the easiest answer. And the one you guys already game me.
2. Run ping 11.22.33.255 > hold
Then plug in the server to the network.
Then run ping 11.22.33.255 > hold2
Then run diff hold hold2 > holdans.
The "new" ip address is in file hold2 but not in hold2. It is most likely the iLO. It is a lot easier to telnet to just the new ip address I found.

Thank you for your help. and that is NOT with sarcasm. One of the things I love about the forums is its ability to help fill in info that I can't find. From just talking about the stuff, it can at times become clear.

Thanks.

Steve Post

timmy b.
Honored Contributor

You've got me grinning this morning, Steve, thanks!

Real answer is, don't use DHCP on a server. Period. You should hard code the IP so that it isn't changing all the time, then you will always know exactly where to go to talk to it. DHCP is fine for pcs since the address is pretty transparent to the user, but for a server that you have to find, and for DNS, it's just a lot easier to have one set IP in the server. That's for all the connections to it, not just the public lan or MP.

Good Luck - Tim

timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Oh, by the way, you are also correct in your thought that you must first connect a console directly to the "console" port to configure a base IP for the lan console. You should also configure the subnet mask, MP host name and gateway. It will put in a subnet mask and gateway by itself, but they are "best-guess" based on your IP, it is "assuming" that you are using generic configurations.

Good Luck - Tim
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

I've got another way to get to the box.

I read off the ethernet nic address on the card (ASSUMING IT'S THERE). Then from an accessable unix box, I use arp to get a hostname/ip assigned. Even if it is temporary, it is enough to telnet into it.