Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nPar question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Srinikalyan
Regular Advisor

nPar question

We have 2 nPars 0 and 1 in rx8620. I need to decommission the par0 and assign all the resources to the par1. Currently the par0 is not in the network so we are not able to access that partition. What are the steps need to be executed to decommision? In which area it needs an system reboot?
cab0,cell0 Active Core 4/0/4 32.0/0.0 cab0,bay0,chassis0 yes yes 0
cab0,cell1 Active Core 4/0/4 32.0/0.0 cab0,bay0,chassis1 yes yes 1
cab0,cell2 Absent - - - - - -
cab0,cell3 Absent - - - - - -

Thanks,
Srini
4 REPLIES 4
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Re: nPar question

Hi Srini

the shutdon -H 00 shall be reqd after you execute the parremove coammnad on par0

Reboot-for-Reconfig shall be reqd after you do a parmodify on npar1 to add the Cell board that belonged to the npar0.

I assume following things:

1)the FW level of the cell-boards in both the NPARs are the same as they shall belong to the same NPAR after this activity.
2)The Cell-boards are identical as far as the CPU make and model in them are concerned.
3) Better if you have an Ignite of both the NPARs and nickel O/p of both for NPARs with you in case you have to do a roll-back.

you can proceedd in the following lines:

1) shutdown the applications and processes on NPAR par0.
2)do a parremove on par0
#parremove -v -F -p 0
3)you will need to Halt-For-Reconfig the NPAR par0.
shutdown -RH 00
this shall make the Cell Resources of the NPAR par0 as free.

4)go to the NPAR 1; logon as root
shutdown all the Applications so that the OS can be rebooted at anytime.
#parmodify -p 1 -a 0/0:base:y:ri -B
Perform a Reboot-For_Reconfig.
#shutdown -Ry 00

As the NPAR par1 shall come up which you also can have a look at from the VFP and the cells going through the BIB and Rendezvous and joining the NPAR par 1, Let that boot and as that comes UP check if the cells are assigned.

The other thing is that you can also the Core-Cell Alternate to PAR par0 as the Cell 0/0 which has been the core-cell of par0 earlier.

After the NPAR par1 has come up you can add to that the core cell alternate as teh following parmodify command
#parmodify -v -p 1 -r 0/0
#parstatus -v -p 1

hope this is helpful.

regards
sujit
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

In the earlier post ,

#parmodify -v -p 1 -r 0/0
#parstatus -v -p 1

should actually read as
#parmodify -v -p 1 -r 0/1 -r 0/0
#parstatus -v -p 1

This shall set the first core cell alternate as 0/1 and the second alternate as 0/0.

regards
sujit

Srinikalyan
Regular Advisor

Do we need to bring that partition par0 in the network and do the parremove command or I can do it in the MP console without bringing up that partition.
Thanks,
Srini
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi

Access to the MP Console shall be enough.
If the NAPR par0 is down you can remove that by using parremove logging on to the NPAR par1.

else logging to MP console go to the Console of NPAR0 and do a normal shtdown of the OS using #shutdown -hy 00
go to the console of Npar par 1.
from there do a parremove of p 0
#parremove -p 0
after that do a parmodify with option "-B" on par1 to add the cell and follow that with an RFR of par1.

But As i can see that the O/P that you have givem in the Question, it seems that cell 0/0 that belongs to the par 0 is active means that par 0 seems to be up.
So i assume that NAPR par 0 is up and that you are not able to Ping/telnet to NPAR, but also you are able to accesss the NPAR par0 using the console of par 0 through the MP.

Then logging on to the MP console you can shutdown the NPAR 0 i assume.

Also as in the earlier post as i have said if you can access the NPAR par0 Console from the MP you can simply do one thing that is do
by looging on p 0 console give
#parremove -F -p 0
and then HaltforReconfig for p 0
#shutdown -R -H 00

regards
sujit
#shutd