Integrity Servers
1753400 Members
7360 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

/ partition almost full

/ partition almost full

Hi,
I have an RX5670 running HP-UX 11.23 and my "/" partion is reporting a 98% usage allocation. The size of this partition is 212992Kb (the size to which the server was originally confiugred with).
The jump in the usage amount was due to the adddition of software added for connection to a Dell/EMC SAN; specifically the Navispehere and Powerpath software.
I have also checked for the normal core files, large log files, etc., in hopes that this may also have been a culprit. This is not the case.
Can someone give me advice on how to make the partition larger, if possible. I have read some previous threads and it seems that the "/" partion cannot be extended. If this is the case, what are the options avaiable to me.
Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Re: / partition almost full

Tell us which Volume Manager you are running:
- LVM or
- VxVM

(quick way to tell, run "bdf". if filesystems are listed with /dev/vx, you are running VxVm)

Hi Scot,
I am running VxVM.
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Another choice: You may be able to uninstall, reinstall the application that caused this problem, this time specifying a different install path, such as /opt

The good new is VxVM does allow dynamic filesystem resize, however, it can be tricky doing it on /

I am not an expert on VxVM, but here is something you can try:

- run SAM GUI as root (sam)
- select Disks & Filesystems
- select Logical Volumes
- select roolvol
- run Actions: Run V.E.A.

See if VEA will let you resize the root filesystem.

HI Scot,

What would be the process in the VEA for this? I cannot locate any specific nomenclature that defines this in the VEA.

I did try to increase the size within SAM,
but as you known it wants to unmount "/" to preform this and cannot.

Hi Scot,

I had an error in my statment about which Volume Manager I was running on this machine. It is LVM with a VxFs.
I apologize!! I happened to by logged into another machine when I ran the "bdf" command.
Sorry.
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Since you are running LVM, it gets harder.

I can refer you to this thread where some possible solutions are presented, all are intrusive.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=505209