5767 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rx2600 & additional disks

Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

rx2600 & additional disks

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, and I was directed here by a fellow VMS forum member. He suggested that I could find a solution to our problem with our rx2600 (running VMS).

The rx2600 we have here was originally equipped with one (1) 73GB disk, that presents itself as an HP 73.4GST373453LC HPC3 (320 MBytes/sec).
Since the rx2600 has 3 slots for disks, we bought 2 additional 73GB disks & plugged them in.
After rebooting (VMS E8.2) only 2 disks are visible (the boot disk as DKA0 (slot 0) & the one sitting in slot 1 as DKA100). The second disk (in slot 2) is not visible from VMS.
After unplugging the disk from slot 2 & plugging it in, and doing a MCR SYSMAN IO AUTO, the disk presents itself as DKB200 but is hardly accessible (INIT works but gives errors, MOUNT gives "medium offline").
The new disk is not faulty because when I physically swap the disks in slot 1 & slot 2, I get the same phenomenon: the disk in slot 2 is not visible after a reboot.
Attached is a screen capture of the logging on the console (some stuff deleted). There is one strange thing though, when the EFI starts up it scans the bus, and discovers the 3 disks. For the disks in slot 0 & one, it reports the speed as 320 MBytes/sec; for the disk in slot 2 it says 160 MBytes/sec.
Is this a hardware or a firmware problem?
It was already suggested to me that there might be a possibility of configuring the EFI so that it accesses the slot 2 at 320 Mbytes/sec.
Could anyone shed some light on this?

Thanx, and seasonal greetings,

Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
4 REPLIES 4
mits
Respected Contributor

Do you have any external SCSI devices hocked to the core I/O external SCSI port? If its external decice has the SCSI ID 2, it would cause your problem since disk slot2 SCSI ID is assigned to SCSI ID 2. If not, most suspect may be the SCSI IO backplane problem, I think.
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Mitsuo,

No external disks are attached. No extra I/O card. So, maybe you're right and it's a faulty SCSI backplane. Will check this.

Greetz,

Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Problem solved by replacing the system board.

Kris (aka Qkcl)
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Thanx,
Kris