6102 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rx2600 power redundancy lost messages

Dejan Donovski
Occasional Advisor

rx2600 power redundancy lost messages

Hello,

On several occasions the following log entries appear in the system event log accessible through MP:

Log Entry 80: 01 Dec 2005 02:54:44
Alert Level 2: Informational
Keyword: Type-02 090b01 592641
Power supply subsystem redundancy lost.
Logged by: Baseboard Management Controller;
Sensor: Power Unit - Power Redundancy
Data1: Redundancy Lost
0x20438E65F40205D0 FFFF010B4F090300

Log Entry 81: 01 Dec 2005 02:54:45
Alert Level 2: Informational
Keyword: Type-02 090b00 592640
Power supply subsystem redundancy gained.
Logged by: Baseboard Management Controller;
Sensor: Power Unit - Power Redundancy
Data1: Redundancy Regained
0x20438E65F50205E0 FFFF000B4F090300

The second event is always 1 sec after the first. This event is always logged when the
system loses one of the power supplies
(disconnected AC cable or removed power supply), but always with an additional event that describes which of the power supplies (1 or 2)caused the lost of redundancy.
The current sustem firmware versions are:

MP FW : E.03.15
BMC FW : 01.50
EFI FW : 01.22
System FW : 02.21

The power cables and the UPS are fault free.
Any hints?
6 REPLIES 6
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Let's see if I understand your questions..

1.You are saying those events should not occur as power source , power cables , UPS are OK ?

2. There is no event which specify the power supply number whcih caused the loss of redundancy? You used to get such events before , but not now?

Can you post complete FPL ?

Well , there are various sensors for various entities on the system board which are monitored by BMC. I do agree with you if the cause of losing power redundancy is one of the power supply , then appropriate event should be logged mentioning the power supply number.

You can also cross-check the BMC events from BMC interface ( from EFI ) if you could manage to get system downtime sometime.
Dejan Donovski
Occasional Advisor

These are the IPF and the Event Log from the MP.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Are you getting any events higher than a level 2?
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi again.

As per the FPL, all those events looks normal showing the progress of the system activity.

All those events are triggered by pressing the "power button" ( when you switch on the server ) and continuing through system startup, HP-UX OE events, system normal shutdown etc.

It is just there are logged in FPL for information.

You need to upgrade the SFW and BMC to 02.31A available at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=88839&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=447335&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54
Dejan Donovski
Occasional Advisor

But what about the events 80,81 86,87 77,78? (System log)
These are not part of the boot process and the redundancy lost state lasts only one second.
I am not sure if those are logged because of some bug or the power redundancy is really lost, and what caused it?
Do you guys think it is possible that the firmware upgrade will solve this problem?
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You are right saying those messages don't point to a specific power supply ( 1 or 2 ) as they would in real case ( power supply problem) , those events are getting triggered maybe due to internal ( sensor feedback) in-consistency. I would upgrade the firmware to resolve the in-consistency and observe if those events occured again.

I didn't find anywhere any info if it is a reported bug. This event is logged by BMC firmware. I guess reflashing the BMC as part of firmware upgrade would resolve the issue.