cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rx2600 usb keyboard problem

Jeff Pretz
Occasional Visitor

rx2600 usb keyboard problem

Hi, I have an rx2600 in which I cannot use the usb keyboard at boot time to access the EFI boot menu. Currently, HP-UX 11.23 is installed as the default boot option so when the system boots (because I can't stop it by selecting another option from the menu) into 11.23, the keyboard works just fine. The problem apparently only exhibits itself within the EFI framework. The keyboard works on another rx2600 just fine but I replaced it just in case; no go. I connected to a HP C1099a console and now get a boot error that says:

"Starting HP-EFI1.1 USB Keyboard Driver - Version 0.23 ...
No Valid USB Keyboards found, Exiting HP-EFI USB Keyboard Driver."

This error repeats twice and halts the system. No other EFI boot info is shown. The only thing connected when this error occurs is the db9 serial connector and power (which to my knowledge is all you should need). The console is using HPTerm emulation and 9600/8-1-n as its configuration. I did try using VT100 but the same thing happens.

I assume this is not hardware related. Is there a way to reset the EFI configuration somehow via jumper?

Any help I could receive would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: rx2600 usb keyboard problem

Hi,

I would suggest to update your FW anyway but
try booting from console (unplug the USB keyboard) and check that all the input devices in the Boot Maintenance Menu are enabled (the USB input devices, that is).

Regards,

Mario.

Jeff Pretz
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your reply Mario. When I have the console connected I did disconnect the usb keyboard and mouse so only the db9 serial connector and power are connected but still no change. You're right, a firmware update couldn't hurt if only I could figure a way to perform that operation. I cannot however, make any changes to the boot maintenance menu as I receive that USB driver error message and then the system freezes. Thanks for your help!
Jeff Pretz
Occasional Visitor

An update to the connectivity problem: I was able to successfully use Hyperterminal to connect to the system using the 24542G Serial cable plugging into the MP DB25 port on the 2600 and serial 1 on a pc. Upon listing the boot options there is no usb entry at all. I did look at the bios version and it is 1.82 ver. 4306. So I will attempt to update the firmware and see if this corrects the problem.