4647 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rx2620 VM guest migration

Michele Tomassi
Advisor

rx2620 VM guest migration

Hello all,
I tried to migrate a VM guest hpux from a rx2620 to another one and I received the following error message:

hiptcp23: 144 : hpvmmigrate -P hiptc046 -h hiptcp24
hpvmmigrate: Target VM Host error - Device WWID does not match.
hpvmmigrate: See HPVM command log file on target VM Host for more detail.

And in command.log on target host (hiptcp24) I read:

11/21/06 16:11:56|ERROR|host|root|hpvmmigrate from 'hiptcp23': Target VM Host error - Device WWID does not match.

Below the devices configuration on source host (hiptcp23)

hiptcp23: 145 : hpvmdevmgmt -V -l all
# HP Virtual Machine Management Database
# Created 11/21/06 16:13:19 by user root
# Version 1.20.0
#
# This file must not be modified by hand.
#
HPVM MANAGEMENT_DB START
hiptcp23:CONFIG=SERVER::WWID_NULL
localnet:CONFIG=gdev,EXIST=YES,DEVTYPE=SWITCH,SHARE=YES::WWID_NULL
vmswitch:CONFIG=gdev,EXIST=YES,SHARE=YES,DEVTYPE=SWITCH:hiptc046,hiptc047:WWID_NULL
lan0:CONFIG=gdev,EXIST=YES,DEVTYPE=NIC,SHARE=NO:vmswitch:WWID_NULL
/dev/rdsk/c4t0d1:CONFIG=gdev,EXIST=YES,DEVTYPE=DISK,SHARE=NO:hiptc046:6005-08b4-0010-546d-0000-c000-016e-0000
/dev/rdsk/c4t0d2:CONFIG=gdev,EXIST=YES,DEVTYPE=DISK,SHARE=NO:hiptc047:6005-08b4-0010-546d-0000-c000-0180-0000
HPVM MANAGEMENT_DB EOF

Below the devices configuration on destination host (hiptcp24)

hiptcp24: 68 : hpvmdevmgmt -V -l all
# Created 11/21/06 16:29:11 by user root
# Version 1.20.0
#
#
HPVM MANAGEMENT_DB START
hiptcp24:CONFIG=SERVER::WWID_NULL
vmswitch:CONFIG=gdev,EXIST=YES,DEVTYPE=SWITCH,SHARE=YES:hiptc049:WWID_NULL
/dev/rdsk/c4t0d2:CONFIG=gdev,EXIST=YES,DEVTYPE=DISK,SHARE=NO:hiptc049:6005-08b4-0010-546d-0000-c000-017a-0000
HPVM MANAGEMENT_DB EOF

Does anyone have any idea about this error?
Thanks in advance for your support
Michele
6 REPLIES 6
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

This error is related to the current storage device configuration.

As per the documentation, hpvmmigrate uses the Fibre Channel worldwide name (WWID) to determine whether the storage allocated to
a guest on the source host is also reachable on the destination host.

Thus WWID should be matched across the hosts. Looking at the hpvmdevmgmt outputs, it is clear that there is not match of LUNs WWID besides de-similar LUN presentation to the hosts. So you need to ensure symmetrical configuration of storage devices/luns across both the hosts.

Refer the documentation at (page 25)
http://docs.hp.com/en/T2767-90043/hpvm_rn.pdf

Michele Tomassi
Advisor

Hi Sameer,
thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately it is not clear for me what are the steps and the commands that I can do on machines in order to adjust the enviroment.
Keep into account that on target host I previously deleted a guest in order to free a disk resource. In fact the hpvmdevmgmt command had given this output before the deletion of guest hiptc048:

hiptcp24: 28 : hpvmdevmgmt -V -l all
# Created 11/21/06 12:11:13 by user root
# Version 1.20.0
#
#
HPVM MANAGEMENT_DB START
hiptcp24:CONFIG=SERVER::WWID_NULL
vmswitch:CONFIG=gdev,EXIST=YES,DEVTYPE=SWITCH,SHARE=YES:hiptc048,hiptc049:WWID_NULL
/dev/rdsk/c4t0d2:CONFIG=gdev,EXIST=YES,DEVTYPE=DISK,SHARE=NO:hiptc049:6005-08b4-0010-546d-0000-c000-017a-0000
/dev/rdsk/c4t0d1:CONFIG=gdev,EXIST=YES,DEVTYPE=DISK,SHARE=NO:hiptc048:6005-08b4-0010-546d-0000-c000-0174-0000
/home/HPUX11iv2-Base.iso:CONFIG=gdev,EXIST=YES,DEVTYPE=FILE,SHARE=NO:hiptc048:HPVM_STATID_20_1073741828
HPVM MANAGEMENT_DB EOF

Thanks for your help
Michele

Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

It looks like you don't have shared storage attached bewteen the two VM hosts. The disk resources /dev/rdsk/c4t0d2 etc. are internal disks of the VM hosts dedicated to respective guests.

If you refer the man page of hpvmmigrate on the document which I posted in my last post which says,

In order to move a virtual machine from a source VM Host to a destination VM Host, both VM Hosts must be configured to allow common access to all of the required resources of the migrating virtual machine. The resources that are defined in the virtual machine's configuration file are checked to determine whether the migrated virtual machine could boot on the estination VM Host. If there is a problem, it is reported and the virtual machine is not migrated.

As said before the error reported in your case is related to shared storage devices which should be accessible by the other VM host in order to migration of guest to succeed. Shared storage is one of the resources which constitute a symmetrical configuration.

Now when you have shared storage between the hosts, the respective LUNs should be presentated to each VM host.
Michele Tomassi
Advisor

Hi Sameer,
thanks for your answer.
I reasoned about your words and I created on destiantion host a shared guest device with the commands:

hpvmdevmgmt -a gdev:/dev/rdsk/c4t0d1
hpvmdevmgmt -m gdev:/dev/rdsk/c4t0d1:attr:SHARE=YES

Do these commands make sense?

Hence, I tried again to migrate the VM as described in previous messages, but without success, with the same error message.
Do you have any idea about the command I have to launch in order to configure my machines?
Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks in advance
Michele

P.S: may be you receive twice this message.
I had some problems during submission...
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I should have made it little more clear earlier.

VM migration works across VM Hosts. Hence those VM hosts should have common access to shared resources like storage devices ( disk , LUN etc. ) , network which are being virtualized on VM host for VMs. That ensures that the VM being migrated can boot on destination VM host. Other requirements are VM Hosts should be accessible to each other on network, Destination VM host should be a valid host running IVM and secure remote operations should be enabled on VM hosts, sufficient CPU and memory for the new to be migrated VM.

You don't need to create a shared storage device like you are trying on destination VM host. You just need to ensure the resources of the VM hiptc046 like
/dev/rdsk/c4t0d1:CONFIG=gdev,EXIST=YES,DEVTYPE=DISK,SHARE=NO:hiptc046:60
05-08b4-0010-546d-0000-c000-016e-0000

is accessible by the destination VM host hiptcp24.I.E. The disk /dev/rdsk/c4t0d1, it should be accessible by hiptcp24.

I am not sure about dev/rdsk/c4t0d1 belongs to. If this a SAN shared storage LUN ( it has to be ) , then you just have to re-present the LUN from the storage to the VM host hiptcp24 and ensure it is seen by it(ioscan) . It's like symmetrical configuration you do in case of Cluster setup between two hosts having shared storage.

Once the LUN is seen by the destination VM host, the migration would work.
Michele Tomassi
Advisor

Hi Sameer,
thanks for your answer. I apologize if I am late with this last feedback.
I forwarded your information to the system administrator and I had able to migrate the guest successfully.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Best regards

Michele