Integrity Servers
1753284 Members
5310 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

rx2620 dual-core CPU adapter cable (AD117-2000A)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marco Gariboldi
Frequent Advisor

rx2620 dual-core CPU adapter cable (AD117-2000A)

With regard to the rx2620 dual-core CPU adapter cable (AD117-2000A).  What exactly does it do?  Going by its appearance, it seems to split a power cable into two.  Why would I want to do that, with two power cables (with only six wires) at my disposal in an rx2620?  In other words, what else does this cable do? 

My processor kits didn't include these cables, hence my inquiry.  Thanks in advance. 

(I've included figure 1-23 from the "Single-Core to Dual-Core Processor Upgrade Guide, HP Integrity rx2620 Server, Manufacturing Part Number: AD117-9009A, First Edition, September 2006".)  

11 REPLIES 11
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: rx2620 dual-core CPU adapter cable (AD117-2000A)

ThCPU has an own power adapter (power pod), mounted to the CPU. The older PODs have different connectors than the newer dual-cores, so you need this adapter.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Marco Gariboldi
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for your reply.  I already knew that and I fear that this still doesn't answer my question. 

The thing is, the single-core processor power pods have 8-pin power connectors, but with only 6 of the 8 actually wires/pins seem to be in ‘use’ (so, 2 pin-holes are unused and don't have a wire/pin in them).  Also, the newer power pod power cables seem to align and physically connect to the power cable connectors.  (There are even these alignment ‘bar code’ stripes on the bottom of the power cable connectors that match up.) 

Anyway, in the manuals that I've read it wasn't explained: Why is the power split over one power cable? 

Thanks in advance. 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

IIRC - for 2 CPUs you just used 2 adapters and it works perfectly, I don't worry about ;-)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Marco Gariboldi
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for your answer.  I regret to have to admit, but — in all frankness — you're confusing me a bit now. 

Do you else perhaps mean 2 per 4 CPUs, divided over two rx2620 systems, and 1 per 2 CPUs in one rx2620?  Because these CPU adapter cables (AD117-2000A) apparently split into two [2] cables, as I mentioned before.  I don't know why, nor what else these cables exactly do (perhaps with a different pin-order?), hence my inquiry. 

I hate to sound rude, but perhaps you should reread what I wrote, along with taking a look at the image that I attached (perhaps also the document it came from, which is freely available)? 

Thanks in advance. 

Marco Gariboldi
Frequent Advisor

Here is an image (see the attached photograph, which I made).  It shows the ‘bar code’ stripes, as I mentioned earlier. 

Marco Gariboldi
Frequent Advisor

(... Anyone?) 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The upgrade manual says

"The eight-wire to six-wire adapter cable has two sets of wire connectors for the two processors. Ensure the
cable is routed correctly for each processor."

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Marco Gariboldi
Frequent Advisor
Solution

What gave you the impression that I don't know what the manual says?  I've been referring to it several times.  (Excuse me, but did you even bother to read what I wrote; let alone what I inquired about in the first place?) 

Well, never mind it though.  I've already ordered the cable (and a new type baffle/airflow guide).  It wasn't too cheap, unfortunately (US $ 15 per cable and $ 25 per baffle), but I guess it's better than potentially damaging the hardware. 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Sorry for trying to help you ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.