1753479 Members
5237 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rx2620 integrirty EFI administrator password problem

rolly4444
Occasional Contributor

rx2620 integrirty EFI administrator password problem

we have an old rx2620 integrity server that worked fine many years ago , but when we have a problem with its SCSI drives and try to change them we found an administrator password on the EFI that prevent us from doing any boot options for that old server.

i serched the manual for clearing that password but i didn't find any thing

how to solve that problem

6 REPLIES 6
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Does the system have a iLO MP (management processor)? I think some rx2620s might have been sold without the MP option. If the MP exists, it has a well-defined password reset procedure, and I think the MP has a command to reset the BMC password, if one exists.

The factory default username/password pairs for the iLO MP are Admin/Admin and Oper/Oper. Note that both the username and password are case sensitive.

To reset the iLO MP password, you must be directly connected to the MP console serial port: the reset procedure cannot be performed over a network connection.

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01404139&lang=en-us&cc=us

See the bottom of page 163.

If your system does not respond to that command (old MP firmware?), then connect a terminal or a terminal emulator to the MP console port, shutdown the server, then pull both its power cords, wait 30 seconds, plug them back in and watch the terminal display.

The MP will start up as soon as the system receives power, and at least some firmware versions will display a prompt like "Press <key> now to reset iLO MP passwords" while the MP is starting up. You must press the key identified in the prompt while the prompt is displayed.

MK
rolly4444
Occasional Contributor

it has iLO card and i can access it without any problem but the problem with the EFI administrator password

i can't modify boot option or enter efi shell because it requires the administrator password

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

I had a vague memory that the "EFI administrator password" might be what is known as "BMC password", and after looking through my old manuals, it seems that's true.

So, when you've logged in to the MP as an administrator, press Control-B, use the CM command to enter the Command Menu, then use the BP command to reset the BMC passwords. Type Y to confirm, and hopefully that's it.

This is the Operations Guide for the rx1620 model:

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01404664&lang=en-us&cc=us

On page 59, where it describes the EFI password functionality, it also states that the BP command of the MP is the way to reset those passwords. I suppose this is the same in the rx2620 model.

MK
rolly4444
Occasional Contributor

The following picture describes the problem
If that what you're talking about so you're right
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. That password is stored in the Baseboard Management Controller (BMC), so even the low-end server configurations without a MP can have their boot settings password-protected if necessary.

So, exit out of the EFI Boot Manager, access the MP, and use its BP command to blow away that password.

MK
rolly4444
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much
I appreciate your efforts to help me