7782 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rx2660 and Linux 5

Fayez
Trusted Contributor

rx2660 and Linux 5

Hi all,

Is there any known issue installing Enterprise Linux 5 on rx servers (rx2660)?

I tried to install Oracle Linux 5 update 4 for itanium, but after successful installation, it can not boot with the following error:

kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I tried to install redhat AS 4 update 4 and it works fine, we all know that oracle linux and redhat linux are the same build.

Thanks...
7 REPLIES 7
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

the redhat linux is fully supported on this machine :

http://h20338.www2.hp.com/integrity/w1/en/os/linux-on-integrity-certification-matrix.html

mikap
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

Also published as supported by Red Hat

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/webcontent/uuid/632d46ae-0e01-0010-97a8-dcd159b8e335
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Fayez
Trusted Contributor

Hi all,

Thanks for your replay, I checked the support matrix, found nothing about Oracle Linux, does it mean it is not supported on Integrity servers at all??

How can I check that??

Thanks...
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

if the redhat is supported oracle linux could be run on the machine.

mikap
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

you oculd call to oracle support and ask them if its supported.

mikap
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

The panic would occur if the device of the root filesystem is not found for some reason or is pointing to a wrong device in the grub. I would check the grub.conf to verify if the root device entry is correct which was used during the installation earlier. I would also remove "quite" argument in the grub.conf to get more detailed boot messages.

I would also look at Oracle ULN to check for official compatibility information and for a known issue.
Fayez
Trusted Contributor

Hi ,

I already checked the elilo.conf file, any way I opened a case with HP support, when I have a answer I will get back to you.

Thanks...