1748194 Members
4390 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rx2660 power pod power cable pinout

Michael Emboss
Occasional Contributor

rx2660 power pod power cable pinout

Very simple question: can someone confirm that in the rx2660, the power cables to the power pods have GND on the latch side and +12V on the non-latch side?

It's somewhat implied from the green cables on the latch side and red on the non-latch side, but since this is the opposite polarity to the physically compatible plug in the zx2000, I'd like to be sure.
6 REPLIES 6
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I don't have the answer to your question, but reading the question makes me wonder/worry just what you intend to do...
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Michael Emboss
Occasional Contributor

I'm working on getting a Montecito (HP part number AH237A, 1.4 GHz/12 MB dual core) working in a zx2000. I've modified the firmware to include the Montecito PAL, but the system doesn't seem to like it when the Montecito power pod is plugged in.

The 6-pin (2x3 pin) plug from the pod physically fits in the 8-pin (2x4 pin) plug from the power supply, and the 6 connected pins in the supply plug line up with the 6 pins in the pod plug.

However, I've noticed (after trying to power it on a few times ...) that the black wires don't match up - they're on the non-latching side for the power supply and Madison McPod, and on the latching side on the Montecito pod. Additionally, reading the guide on upgrading the rx2620 to dual-core processors, it mentions using a 8-pin to 6-pin adapter cable for the pods. Inspection of photos in the guide indicates that this cable primarily reverses the polarity of the plug.

The system still works fine when I stick the Madison back in, so I haven't permanently toasted anything on that side. I haven't noticed any magic smoke escaping the Montecito pod, nor is there any sign of physical damage, so I'm hoping it survived. I'm planning on filing off the keying from the Montecito pod plug so that I can connect it "backwards", but thought it'd be worthwhile to ask here to see if anyone knew for sure that the polarity was different.

On a somewhat unrelated topic, are the business support forums run independently? There's a post there about Montecitos in a zx2000 that I was going to answer, but the login that I use for this forum didn't work there.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>On a somewhat unrelated topic, are the business support forums run independently?

Yes.

>the login that I use for this forum didn't work there.

You need to have an HP Passport. Read the FAQ so you can associate that with your current ITRC ID:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/bsd/hppFaq.do

(Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work.)
rick jones
Honored Contributor

If you want a "workstation" with Montecito processors in it, I think you are better off starting with the rx2660 which you seem to have, and getting the "OFS" (Office Friendly Server) tower conversion.
Michael Emboss
Occasional Contributor

I don't actually have an rx2660 (it's about an order of magnitude outside my "fun toys" budget ...). I've only seen photos of the inside. What I do have is a zx2000, and a single AH237A (which I got very cheap), hence the effort to try to get them working together :)
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Oh :)

Other systems which have had an OFS option have included the rx2620 and the rx2600. It is possible we actually supported Montecito in the rx2620 but I cannot recall that with 100% certainty.