cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rx4640 HP Integrity server won't boot

Annelise Wilken
Regular Advisor

rx4640 HP Integrity server won't boot

I have a brand new HP Integrity rx4640 with 2 internal disks and 2 external disks. I booted the server and went into the MP prompt I set an IP address for the GSP and the name then restarted MP. To ensure a clean build we normally perform a new install on the new server, so I put the Enterprise HP-UX 11:23 OS into the CD and through EFI loader select boot from internal CD - I then got taken to the HP-UX install screen, when I selected install HP-UX I received the message that there were no disks to install the OS on. I exited the installer and through the EFI boot loader screen I checked to see what bootable devices I had (was expecting to see at least the 2 internal disks!) - it showed as 0 disks and 1 CD drive. I then took the system down to power off state, powered off the unit and reseated the internal disks. I powered the system on went into the EFI loader and selected boot from primary device - we then lost power!!!! When power was resumed I went on to the MP screen and looked in vfp as the system was booting up - I noticed system starting then various checking messages, then the system stuck on "HPMC Processing" and underneath was the message "Fatal System State", it then looped back to system starting, various checking messages then to HPMC processing .... and it won't go any further than that. I can't get into the EFI loader screen anymore - all disk lights are green, howerver have red system light (even after clearing the system event logs) is displayed.

All I can think of is that the disks are bad ...... any ideas!!!

Many thanks for assistance!!!
5 REPLIES 5
Borislav Perkov
Respected Contributor

Re: rx4640 HP Integrity server won't boot

Hi Annelise,

Check the SCSI cables external and internal.
Try to boot with external SCSI cable disconnected.

Regards,
Borislav
Annelise Wilken
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I've tried that and still no joy.
Borislav Perkov
Respected Contributor

It is maybe the internal SCSI.
You must contact HP support for this.

Regards,
Borislav
Annelise Wilken
Regular Advisor

ok will do thanks for your help.
Annelise Wilken
Regular Advisor

I have raised a support call with HP - the fact that the system won't see the internal disks, and when I look through the virtual front panel when I try and boot and see it looping through starting system ... and stopping on HPMC processing fatal system state .... makes me think its either the disks or something more sinister .....either way a support call has been logged.

Thanks for the help.