1748079 Members
5286 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rx4640: MP not sending name to DHCP

Chris Koch_1
Advisor

rx4640: MP not sending name to DHCP

The following issue is occurring on all 11 of the rx4640's we just installed. Is anyone else having this problem?

We configured the MP's for DHCP and to register with DDNS. The MP's *are* pulling IP addresses, but they are not registering the name of the MP with the DHCP server. (Win2K DHCP server)

If you open up the DHCP MMC snap-in, you can see the Client IP address, Unique ID (MAC), lease expiration etc., but in the Name column, it's blank for these MP's.

Every other server or iLO that we have using DHCP on our network populates this Name column in DHCP. The only way we have to figure out the IP address of the MP is if we know the MAC. Then we can use this snap-in or ARP to figure out the IP.

You can see where this would be a problem...
9 REPLIES 9
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Re: rx4640: MP not sending name to DHCP

What DNS server are you using on your network? We are using Bind 9x in our lab, and we never have a problem automatically associating/sending names with IPs. Since we build and rebuild servers and MPs every day, when we do have a problem, a manual name/Ip assignment brings the lookup tables back up to date.

Had something similar to this happen in an MS-DDNS environment, but a good active directory cleanup took care of the issue.

It could also be that your DNS's reverse lookup table is not autorefreshing.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I took a _very_ brief look at:

http://docs.hp.com/en/5971-4274_iLO_ops/5971-4274_iLO_ops.pdf

which I found starting from docs.hp.com, and following the Enterprise Servers link. It suggests that it is necessary to enable DDNS updates explicitly, which I suspect you already did, and that the updates only happen if the DNS server known to the MP is authoritative for the zone.

There may be other useful information there.

The usual song and dance about being at the latest versions might apply as well.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Chris Koch_1
Advisor

The MP is set to register in DDNS, and the DHCP server is set to register DNS entries for hosts that do DDNS.

The thing is, the DHCP server itself (It's a Win2K server) isn't registering a name for the clients, so there's nothing to pass on to DNS. You can see this in the DHCP MMC snap-in like I described -- the "Name" field is blank. It's like the host name isn't being passed in the DHCPDISCOVER packet or something.

Maybe I'll get our network guys to look at the packets...
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Always a good idea to look at the packets. Meanwhile, might be a good idea to check the MP firmware versions.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Chris Koch_1
Advisor

FYI -- Firmware = E.03.15. Still working on getting a sniffer connected to the network.

Meanwhile, anyone else have any thougts on this? People who are using DHCP on a windows network... no one else is having this issue?
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Can you post the MP lan setting done for DHCP and DNS?

As per said, the way DHCP and MP resgistration is set, DHCP should allocate correct Domain name to MP and it is set in DNS setting.

Chris Koch_1
Advisor

Current DNS Configuration:
S - DHCP for DNS Servers : Enabled
D - DHCP for DNS Domain Name : Enabled
R - Register with DDNS Server : Yes
N - DNS Domain Name : ourdomain.net
1 - Primary DNS Server IP : 172.22.227.xx
2 - Secondary DNS Server IP : 172.22.228.xx
3 - Tertiary DNS Server IP : 172.22.228.xx

Current LAN Configuration:
- - MAC Address : 0x001560de616e
D - DHCP Status : Enabled
- - IP Address : 172.22.67.69
M - MP Host Name : rasapr28
- - Subnet Mask : 255.255.252.0
- - Gateway Address : 172.22.64.1
L - Link State : Auto Negotiate
W - Web Console Port Number : 2023
H - SSH Access Port Number : 22
- - IPMI / LAN Port Number : 623

I've edited the domain name and the last octet of our DNS servers, but they are correct in the MP.

So, the problem is that rasapr28 is not associating with the 172.22.67.69 address in DHCP, so it's not transferring to DNS either.
Chris Koch_1
Advisor

I've finally connected a sniffer to the network. Looks like these MP's are not sending the assigned hostname in the DHCPDISCOVER packet. In fact the hostname field in the packet (and all DHCP associated packets) is blank.

Can anyone tell me why this is????
Chris Koch_1
Advisor

UPDATE: We just received word from HP today that DHCP option 12, which is the option that passes the host name of the MP to DHCP, is not available in the current firmware.

What this means to us is that there is no way for DHCP to know the name of the MP it issues an address to, and therefore no way for DHCP to update DNS with that name and IP address.

So to get those names and IPs in DNS, we'll need to switch to using static IP addresses on the MPs, and manually add those names to DNS.

Supposedly, there will be a new firmware version released in October that should resolve this issue.