6666 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rx4640

Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

rx4640

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before.I have an rx4640 that boots up fine.I have tried to load os several different times.I have tried 11.i ver2 11.i ver3 and it goes thru and loads both cd's but when it trys to boot to the harddrive the last time it gives me an error and stops at the HPUX prompt.It will not boot to the harddrive.Any ideas.

thanks
Jon
8 REPLIES 8
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: rx4640

_What_ error does it give?

Have you tried another harddrive?

BTW, an rx4640 is not a 9000, it is an Integrity server, so strictly speaking, this isn't the correct forum :)
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

I have tried different harddrives.The harddrive starts to boot and then I get these errors
could not open file VMUNIX
loading failed

Thanks
Jon
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Is there more than one boot entry in the boot list at EFI?
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Ye it has listed
boot drive
efi shell
linux

I have selected the top one for primary hard drive and it still will not continue to boot up.

Thanks

Jon
Marcel Burggraeve
Trusted Contributor

Does it really say boot drive or is that something you wrote here instead of the real address ?
After a complete HP-UX install you should see an option starting with a hardware address.
The boot list also uses some kind of a disk signature in its description so unlike with a HP9000 you cannot swap around disks between seperate Itanium systems even if you place the disks in the same slot.
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

yes it shows the boot address.After the machine loads the 2 cd's of the os ,the next step is it boots to the harddrive to finish the load .When it starts the boot to the hard drive that is when I get the error.I did not create this boot the machine did.

Thanks
Jon
Roberto Arias
Valued Contributor

Hi all:

Some time the cells boot faster than boot's disk. In efi menu ( if you is in efi shell exit of him) sleep 1 minute and try boot from here

regards
The man is your friend
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

The problem was the efi shell firmware was to old to run 11.i ver 2.Once I upgraded the firmware the machine works fine now.

Thanks
Jon