1748059 Members
5072 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rx6600 or sx2000 expansion options

Mark Fisher_4
Frequent Advisor

rx6600 or sx2000 expansion options

Right now HP is selling the rx6600 as a 4 cpu slot server and each cpu slot can hold a dual core processor for a total of 8 cores. Does anyone know if HP plans on expanding this in the near future? For example, a 4 or 8 core processor? We just need to know if this server can be expanded in the near future (1 year).

Mark
5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Consider to ask your hp representative such questions.

I think the first news about such new products will be something like "It's now available ...".

The next CPU will most likely be the Tukwila, but there are not so much details about this ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

My expirience is that you better don't count on such expansions.

Yes, HP will probably manage to get a tukwila processor in an rx6600, but the rx6600 is old hardware and will probably be unable to fully exploit the power of tukwila processors.

HP will probably also have new hardware when tukwila comes out, and this newer hardware will probably be a lot less expensive for a lot more power compared to the rx6600.

And yes, I think it would be better to ask HP themselves. Maybe a commercial deal is possible allowing you to buy an rx6600 now to get started and get a very high trade-in when you now agree to buy a new tukwila system when it becomes available.

You can sssume that the Tukwila processors (which will be quad core) won't go in any of the current server models - the sytem architectures are just too different (remember Tukwila is moving to an integrated memory controller and quickpath interconnects between sockets). It would be the equivalent of trying to put an AMD processor in an Intel socket - just not possible for a host of reasons.

SO don't bet on neing able to make an 8 core rx6600 into a 16 core system in a years time. If you think you will need that capacity but a rx7640.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Gokul Chandola
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
The next generation CPU w

This is the Intel's multi core CPU.

***First up is Intel's quad-core Itanium product, codenamed Tukwila:***

Tukwila is Intel's first chip with a full 2 billion transistors and should be shipping by the end of this year, with full systems available next year. Tukwila, like Nehalem, will support Intel's QuickPath Interconnect (QPI), a point-to-point interconnect similar to AMD's Hyper Transport. Also like Nehalem, Tukwila will feature an integrated memory controller - two in this case.

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3264

Regards,
Gokul Cahndola
There is always some scope for improvment.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

There is really not so much info available, but I found this:

http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug022808-story01.html

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!