Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rx7620 efi

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ken McKenzie
Occasional Contributor

rx7620 efi

I am trying to reset the efi on a rx7620 so I can access the efi boot manager. This server was orginally setup for windows 2003. I am going to load HP-UX 11.23.
My problem is I am using a graphics/usb card and I changed the acpiconfig to default from windows so I can load HP-UX. I also change the console output device to just the graphics/usb card and reset the server. When the system comes back up I get the following error message:

Path GUID IS NOT ON THE SYSTEM or in the database...
Unable to find GUID on the system.

I know I just need to set the console output back to serial but I can't access the boot configuration manager. Is there a way to reset the efi from the mp?

Please any assistance would be greatly appreicated.
Peace
5 REPLIES 5
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: rx7620 efi

Hi Ken,

Iyou should always see output on the serial console on this type of server. Plug a terminal or a laptop with null modem cable to the console port of the MP. The error message looks like Windows wanted to start but the GUID of the system disk could not be found. I would recomend to unplugg all disks and try again.
Clearing the NVRAM may help also, but there is no MP command to do it.
If unplugging the disks will not help, then I would recomend to call HP support for help.

best regards

Stefan
Ken McKenzie
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I thought the server would default back to the consoles serial port but it does not.
The error message I listed is on the HP console connected to the MP. I can access the MP and the vfp states the system is at the EFI_POSSE_LOADED.
If I could access the efi I could change the console output path back to serial.
I recognize this is kind of an unusal sitiuation but I find myself essentially locked out.
Where does the efi reside? Can I remove a CMOS battery somewhere to return to default settings?
Is there a PCI slot dedicated to graphics on the rx7620s?
Peace
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

"EFI_POSSE_LOADED" indicates the EFI shell is loaded and system is at EFI shell prompt.

"Path GUID IS NOT ON THE SYSTEM or in the database...
Unable to find GUID on the system." message is given from EFI firmware as unknown GUID

Did you change any hardware's position in the server as you are asking
>Is there a PCI slot dedicated to graphics on the rx7620s?

I guess you are using a dump terminal at MP serial console port. What you see at
MP > CO

If you don't see anything there , then you need to connect a monitor and usb keyboard which should given you access to EFI interface.

I guess EFI firmware is a part of system firmware resides in an EEPROM on the system board and settings are stored in a NVRAM.
Ken McKenzie
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I removed the core I/O and reseated the battery. The rx7620 came up in its default settings and I can access the efi. Thx.
Peace
Ken McKenzie
Occasional Contributor

I would just like to clear up my earlier comments on the fix.
When I removed the core I/Os, thats right I have 2, and reseated the batteries that just reset the MPs.
I inadvertantly put the core I/Os in different slots from where they were orginally. This caused the the server to boot the other cell board. Which indicates the efi resides on the cell boards.
When I create a genisis profile with cell 1 I have my problem occur again. I switched cell board positions recreated the genisis profile and the efi came up good.
I am loading HP-UX right now. After it is finished I will create a second partition, hopefully I will be able to access the efi on that cell board. Thx.
Peace