New Discussion юеВ

Re: rx7640-difficulty obtaining a part # for the MP SCSI card

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

rx7640-difficulty obtaining a part # for the MP SCSI card

Good morning gents!!

I have an rx7640 with wants of upgrading it. I installed 2 more hard drives, (300GB 15k,) into the internal slots at 0/0/x/x. I realize I will need a 2nd MP Core I/O in order to make these drives available, (AB315A.) Will I also require the MP SCSI board installed? I am having much difficulty obtaining a part # for the MP SCSI card.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!
Should have been an astronaut.
8 REPLIES 8

Ron,

The rx7640 is odd in that it is asymmetrical in its core IO configuration between the 2 cells.

Just to get terminology correct here:

Each cell has 2 "core IO" boards:

1. The MP/SCSI boards - these don't take up a standard PCI slot, and go down the right hand side of the rear of the rx7640
2. the LAN/SCSI boards - these occupy slot 8 in each chassis IIRC

Take a look at the diagram here:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01883971/c01883971.pdf

See p20, figure 1-1.

As you'll see for the first MP/SCSI and LAN/SCSI pair, the IO for disks comes off both cards. But for the second pair, both disks connect off the MP/SCSI.

And then see p74 of the same doc which specifically says:

Each server can have up to two core I/O board sets installed which allows for two partitions to
operate, or MP core I/O redundancy in a single or dual partition configuration. Each core I/O
board set consists of two boards: the MP/SCSI board and the LAN/SCSI board. The MP/SCSI
board is oriented vertically and accessed from the back of the server. The LAN/SCSI is accessed
from the PCI expansion card bay. Only the primary core I/O board set (MP/SCSI slot 1 and
LAN/SCSI slot 8, chassis 1) is required for a single partition implementation. The secondary
MP/SCSI board is not necessary for full operation; however, without the secondary MP/SCSI
and LAN/SCSI boards, only the top two internal disks can be accessed.

So the long and short of it - you need the 2nd MP/SCSI card (AB315A), but not the 2nd LAN/SCSI card (AB290A).

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

I'm confused Duncan. From page 74:

however, without the secondary MP/SCSI
and LAN/SCSI boards, only the top two internal disks can be accessed.

That's what I'm asking. It looks as if I will need both the AB315A, and the AB290A to access the lower internatl disks, correct?
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi ron,

You have been provided the complete info by Mr. Duncan Edmonstrone.

AFAIK, the core I/O product comes with both boards MP/SCSI and LAN/SCSI especially for_an_rx7640. Probably that's why you have typed your last post?

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....

Ron,

Hmmm - there are some inconsistencies in the manual here aren't there - I'm just checking some internal material - will come back to you shortly.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Solution

Ron,

The diagram I pointed you at in the rx7640 manual is incorrect - it shows an rx7620 config, not a rx7640.

So yes, you _do_ need the additional LAN/SCSI core IO card with the part number I mentioned. Apologies for me confusing matters here.

Also, just to confirm, you _do_ have a second cell board in this rx7640 don't you?? Youc can't access the 2nd MP/SCSI or LAN/SCSI card without one.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

Hey Duncan!!

What we have for this upgrade is an AB315A, a cell board, (populated,) and 2 X 300GB hard drives. This also begs the question regarding firmware for the extra parts, (cell and MP's.) Is there a 'how-to' out there on upgrading the firmware? I'd hate to be dead in the water after all of this. We're waiting on the AB290A now, but I'm not holding my breath. Parts do not travel exediously in Iraq.

Ron,

I would always ask a HP engineer to do a FW upgrade in these situations, but I'm presuming that's not an option for you!

Latest firmware is here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1844075&prodNameId=1844076&swEnvOID=54&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ux-88078-1

And the installation instructions are in the release notes. However I would first log a support call with the RC and describe what you are doing, as they may ask you to do soemthing different...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for your responses!! As always, the HP Brain Trust is always welcome in my inbox!! (Even if my inbox is in Baghdad)