Integrity Servers
1748169 Members
4123 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rx8620 mx2 dual core

tuyet pham

rx8620 mx2 dual core

Help.. For testing purpose on the rx8620 dual core processors, I need to config 1 cpu per cell only, but the problem is with the dual core processors, I can only turn off 2 cpus or none. Is there a way to deconfig 1 cpu on the dual core? I use cpuconfig command, but it only let you turn on/off 2 at the same time.
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I have almost no experience in really configuring Cell-capable systems, but turning the cpu off has to result in what You experience, it gets completely deactivated, so both cores become unavailable.

The proper way would be mapping the cpu's via OLA/R or the resource configuration commands (I don't remember the name, but just the thing one uses when setting up a cell to assign memory and i/o-slots), I hope.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
tuyet pham

Thank you for your reply, but I did a lot of
de/configuration of cell base systems, this is the one that I couldn'n figure out.
Must be a way of telling the firmware to bypass the dual cpus?
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I do not believe there is a way out in the field to deactivate only one of the two processors in an mx2 module. The suggestion to use psets and the like is probably the way to go. You should also make use of the intctl command to make sure that your pseudo-deactivated CPU does not process any interrupts from your I/O cards.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
tuyet pham

I think pset is the only way to use now.
I'll apply this method.
Thanks Rick.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Florian had another good idea, but it is a little early to use on Itanium - basically I think Florian was suggesting you setup vpars (virtual partitions) - vpar support on Itanium is something that should be happening some time this summer.

Now, since there is a shared cache on the mx2, I've no idea if one could configure each of the two cores into a separate vpar or not, so there is that little wrinkle, but once vpars support is there on itanium, that would indeed be another way to try to get only one mx2 CPU core per cell into a single system image.

There may also be something one can do using the iCOD (instant capacity on demand) mechanisms.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I think iCOD is the only way to enable/disable individual cores of a dual core mx2 CPU.

Regards
Bernhard
tuyet pham

Thanks. I'll try that also later.