1753472 Members
4594 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

sasmgr vpd

Marlou Everson
Trusted Contributor

sasmgr vpd

I successfully updated my rx3660 that came installed with the June 2007 HP-UX 11i v2 (11.23) OE-Ent to the December 2007 OE-Ent (11.23). Now the vital product information for the SAS controller has disappeared. When I ran the following before the update:

sasmgr get_info -D /dev/sasd0 -q vpd

Vital Product Data Information
------------------------------
Product Description : PCI-X SERIAL ATTACHED SCSI HBA
Part Number : 435234-001
Engineering Date Code : A-4606
Serial Number : NA
Misc. Information : PW=15W PCI 66MHZ PCI-X 133MHZ CORE IO
Manufacturing Date : 4616
Manufacturing ID : N/A
Checksum : 0xea
EFI Version : 02.01.04
HBA Firmware Version : 01.16.33.00
Asset Tag : NA

Now the output is

Product Description : N/A
Part Number : N/A
Engineering Date Code : N/A
Serial Number : N/A
Misc. Information : N/A
Manufacturing Date : N/A
Checksum : N/A
EFI Version : N/A
HBA Firmware Version : N/A
Asset Tag : N/A

The system is running just fine.

Any ideas on why this info is missing and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Marlou
7 REPLIES 7
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: sasmgr vpd

It looks like a problem related to the drivers, CommonIO and PCI-X SerialSCSI.

What do you get with
# swlist | grep -i -e common -e serial

The driver for 07/12 HPUX 11iv2 release are available for download at

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=OE

Go through the installation instructions first before actually installing them. It is required to install CommonIO driver first.
Armin Kunaschik
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, this is just a "me too" posting.
I upgraded a rx2660 to B.11.23 Dec2007 (and before this updated system firmware to 3.01) and have the same result.
CommonIO and SerialSCSI were upgraded simultaneously to Dec 2007 version:
CommonIO B.11.23.0712 Common IO Drivers
SerialSCSI-00 B.11.23.0712 PCI-X/PCI-E SerialSCSI

The only thing I noticed was a note after firmware update, which told me to upgrade the serial scsi software. It went away after upgrading HP-UX to Dec2007.

@HP: Any hints?

My 2 centss
Armin
And now for something completely different...
Marlou Everson
Trusted Contributor

swlist | grep -i -e common -e serial
CommonIO B.11.23.0712 Common IO Drivers
SerialSCSI-00 B.11.23.0712 PCI-X/PCI-E SerialSCSI

These are part of the Dec. 2007 11.23 OE.

I am not surprised by the "me too" since I actually have 2 systems with this problem. Both rx3600. One is OE-Ent and the other is OE-MC.

I have contacted HP but I am not confident that they really know what the problem is. The system is working fine.

Marlou
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

It maybe a case that VPD info is not readable by the sasd driver for some reason.

You can probably verify if the VPD or rather HBA properties ( it may not be exact VPD data though) can be read using drvcfg EFI utility. Atleast you would see the HBA firmware or so. This is another option to try as it by-passes the OS sasd driver.

Then try updating the HBA firmware ( 1.23.33.00 ) which will update the VPD as well.

The firmware can be downloaded from
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=il&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3257031&prodNameId=3257032&swEnvOID=2080&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ux-55042-1

Armin Kunaschik
Esteemed Contributor

Hi again,

I did the sas firmware update (as suggested by Sameer) and now it's working again.
The big thing is, that one can use an USB stick for firmware updates. Burning CD's is not necessary. I still prefer firmware as installable software depot, but the "second best" thing is USB.
Suprisingly the update procedure stated, that there is not VPD update necessary.
# sasmgr get_info -D /dev/sasd0 -q vpd
Product Description : PCI-X Serial Attached SCSI
Part Number : AB419-60001
Engineering Date Code : NA
Serial Number : NA
Misc. Information : PW=15W PCI-X 66MHz Core IO
Manufacturing Date : NA
Checksum : 0x96
EFI Version : 02.01.04.00
HBA Firmware Version : 01.23.33.00
Asset Tag : NA

It seems that it's ABSOLUTELY necessary to update the adapter firmware to the current level before/while/after updating to Dec 2007. I'm not sure wether or not this is documented somewhere, maybe I skipped through the documentation too fast.

Thanks for the assistance,
Armin
And now for something completely different...
Marlou Everson
Trusted Contributor

As suggested by HP, I powered off the system to see if that would help. Instead I was unable to boot it, so there was a bigger problem.

HP has been working on the system. They flashed the firmware again but that did not help. They replaced the SAS card and flashed it and that still did not help. Meanwhile, the intermittent boot problem became permanent. HP has fixed the boot problem. It had nothing to do with the firmware or missing vpd info. I am glad this system is not in production yet!

I did power off another system and back on. It came up okay but still no vpd info. At least, the update from June 2007 to Dec. 2007 does not appear to be a problem and the missing vpd info does not appear to cause any problems.

Marlou
Marlou Everson
Trusted Contributor

Despite HP coming out and working on my second system, clearing NVRAM, they were not able to restore the sas vpd info. The system has been through a lot of reboots for kernel changes and patches and still no vpd info.

Last week, I used set_parms hostname and ip_address and let set_parms reboot the system. Now this system has the sas vpd information.

Marlou