1748276 Members
4024 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: try to connect hyper terminal to rs2620

freddy-hq
Occasional Contributor

try to connect hyper terminal to rs2620

Hi, i got the following answer but still not clear how i can resolve this issue.

Jan 22, 2007 18:21:37 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,

I try to connect my rx2620 to null serial cable via hyper terminal. I have a connection and the boot sequence display on my hyperterminal how ever i can't use the keyboard to correspond.
Can anybody help.

Regards.

Sort Answers By: Date or Points

Torsten- Jan 22, 2007 18:49:12 GMT points for answer: Unassigned 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

you have to stop at the EFI boot menu and check the console device settings.

There is a device for input, another for output and a third for error output.

Make sure all are set to the same device.

Otherwise your output may go to the serial port, the input is expected from the USB.

freddy-hq Jan 22, 2007 18:53:42 GMT N/A: Question Author

Thank you for corresponding,

I don't have acess to any thing else than my output display on the hyperterminal.
How do setup what you told me.

Tx

Jan 22, 2007 18:21:37 GMT

Hi all,

I try to connect my rx2620 to null serial cable via hyper terminal. I have a connection and the boot sequence display on my hyperterminal how ever i can't use the keyboard to correspond.
Can anybody help.

Regards.

Sort Answers By: Date or Points

Torsten- Jan 22, 2007 18:49:12 GMT points for answer: Unassigned 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

Hi,

you have to stop at the EFI boot menu and check the console device settings.

There is a device for input, another for output and a third for error output.

Make sure all are set to the same device.

Otherwise your output may go to the serial port, the input is expected from the USB.

freddy-hq Jan 22, 2007 18:53:42 GMT N/A: Question Author

Thank you for corresponding,

I don't have acess to any thing else than my output display on the hyperterminal.
How do setup what you told me.

Tx

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Where is your serial cable connected?

Directly on the 1st port or on the black, 3-ended cable?

Just in case you are using the port on the server, try to connect to the cable (MP console port).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
freddy-hq
Occasional Contributor

My serial cable is connected straight to the back of the server on the serial port consol and the other way is to serail port of my laptop.
Still can not acess to keyboard.

Tx

Hi,

Please look at the diagram of the back of the server on p16 of this doc:

http://docs.hp.com/en/AD117-9001A/AD117-9001A.pdf

Do you have a management card present in your rx2620? (i.e. are the top three sockets labelled LAN 10/100, VGA and CONSOLE/REMOTE/UPS available?)

If so, you should have a small 'W' cable which plugs into the 24 pin socket labelled CONSOLE/REMOTE/UPS and splits this into 3 9-pin connectors - one of which is labelled console - this is where you should be attaching your serial connection to if you have it.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I do not know what wiring you are using, and I do not know that it will work. (It might. I simply do not know.)

As for an approach I've used, look for the pinout for the H8575-E adapter in the OpenVMS FAQ; this if you've lost the so-called W cable, a straight connection using this pinout works just fine on one rx2600 MP DB25 connection. The FAQ also has pointers to the pinouts and pictures for the various DECconnect adapters, including the H8575-E series. I've used this adapter directly (rather than building my own connector using the pinout), and it worked just fine.

The default HyperTerm version found integrated in Windows is not a terminal emulator I've found particularly useful or compatible, and better emulators are available from various places -- the same folks that provided HyperTerm to Microsoft have a much newer HyperTerm -- and there are good (free) terminal emulator packages such as PuTTY, and the VTstar terminal emulator for Windows found on the OpenVMS Freeware.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

freddy-hq,

Also consider checking out the Windows version of C-Kermit. Kermit is still a good choice for a flexible terminal emulator (see http://www.columbia.edu/kermit ).

Also, I agree with Hoff. Check your wiring diagram very very carefully. It is very easy to get this wrong.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com