108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IE 6 freezing up

SOLVED
Go to solution
James Malloy
Occasional Advisor

IE 6 freezing up

Running a new m7680n desktop. IE hangs up when typing in a new URL, the page freezes, the hourglass runs... Eventually have to end task to close it out. I've rebuilt, reinstalled, etc., and am now out of ideas.

Have read a few things about Norton Internet Security being potential cause of this. Would happily uninstall if that's the case. Suggestions very much appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

can you try to install the latest version i.e. IE 7 and see if the same problem recurs.

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
James Malloy
Occasional Advisor

At this point I will try that. What do you think of Norton IS and other related utilities being the cause of this?

For now I've been using Netscape with no problems. Haven't used this browser in years!
Rich S
Honored Contributor

IE 6 and IE 7 are pretty much the same. Loading IE7 may clear up your issues.

I would try Firefox first. Its always good to have 2 browsers on your PC.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

As far as Norton is concerned, I have been getting away from their software. I feel their software is too bloated and controls more than they should.

All firewall and AV products have to assume a special layer in the OS to work but I believe after adding LIVE updates and the like they are way too large for what they do.

here are a few cmplaints:

http://www.computergripes.com/nortonantivirus2005.html

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=54800003&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_Authors

Rich

Say thanks with HP POINTS
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor
Solution

James,

Definitely could be Norton. I concur with all the negative comments above based on my experience with friends' computers.

If you uninstall it, Norton's sloppy and leaves scraps behind. You can use this Symantec tool to remove the scraps:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Then (I know this is going to cause discussion, everyone has their favorites), I'd suggest Kaspersky as the replacement (note the Free Trial links):

http://www.kaspersky.com/

Pat
Mars Engine
Frequent Advisor

Hi James,
I agree with the previous in that it may actually be a Symantec product issue here. I have (as all of us I assume) seen many issues caused by Symantec products and especially this bad piece of junk code called ccapp.exe (sorry Symantec but I was very courteous with this description). Anyway, I have been monitoring PCs using Norton Antivirus 2003 (also included in the SystemWorks 2003 suite) without any problems for many years now. If you can get it, I believe that it should work fine after all the updates. You know many IT pros (friends of mine mostly :) but from all over the globe) never updated beyond 2003 versions of their symantec products and if they only needed antivirus they didn't even think about Internet Security and all that crap that it comes with (Many of them still use version 2002). Just think what your needs are in this matter because the layers being used are not to mess with. Antivirus software works on a low level and whatever they do wrong affects all of the operating system (brief description of the real thing). Anyway, this is personal opinion from personal experience and just a suggestion to ponder on for you.

Regards,
Mars

Say thanks with HP Points
Conquer thy Ascension!
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Start, Run, cmd, OK to bring up a black cmd screen.

Type:

nslookup hp.com

Does it come back quickly with an IP address for hp.com or does it time out?

If you get an IP address then open your browser and type in the ip in place of the url. Does it go to hp.com quickly?

Can you post the results of

ipconfig /all

How do you connect to the internet? Do you share this connection with another PC?

Run hijackthis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis_sfx.php

and post the log in your reply. That may tell us more.

James Malloy
Occasional Advisor

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've been using Netscape 8.0 with no problems so far. Haven't used Netscape browser since, well, since a VERY long time. This computer is literally brand new, so why these problems who knows.

I haven't installed IE 7 because, at this point, no need for it ight now.

Pat: thanks for the uninstall tips.
Mars: darn, I literally threw out my original '03 Norton CD's about a month ago!
Ron: nslookup hp.com the dialogue box box appears for a fraction of a second then times out. Same for IP config. Where would the log of results be stored? I connect via cable modem, not shared on a LAN or network. I don'thave enough OS knowledge to run hijackthis right now, but thank you for suggesting.
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

James,

I think Ron is closest to your solution. (That's how he got that fancy icon.)

I assume your PC came with winXP pre-installed. That is always a potential reason for mysterious problems like this. I would backup your data, ** re-FORMAT ** and reinstall from a winXP CD-ROM. Here is why I say this:

Your results from nslookup and ipconfig point to a problem with TCP/IP. This will cause a problem with any browser. So installing IE7 will not help. I also don't think NIS is causing this problem. Hijackthis helps with spyware, but I don't think that is what is happening here. Looking at a log won't help either.

Since IE6 does not work, you have no way of installing windows critical updates. This is a big problem for your security (threats from the Internet). You need to run windows update at least monthly to download and install the updates.

If re-FORMAT and reinstall winXP does not fix the problem, you have a hardware problem, possibly a faulty NIC.

Run the following from a winXP command prompt, then post the results here.

ping loopback

J.

check Facebook
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

If he can get on the internet with another browser then we don't need to worry about tcp/ip.

More likely a malware issue so the Hijackthis log would be more useful.

The O2 and O3 items are Internet Explorer specific so they can be the cause of the problem.

Ron