7730 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Internet Explorer Keeps Freezing

SOLVED
Go to solution
MelissaL

Internet Explorer Keeps Freezing

I recently purchased a Dell computer 3 months age. Basic bottom of line CPU. It was working fine. Our McAfee and Norton free trial ran out. We are still protected for viruses though. It now freezes everytime I open up Internet Explorer on the home page. You have to hit CTL ALT Delete to get out. You can do everything else on it though.. I found they didn;t give me enough memory so I got more, still didn't fix the problem. I had someone look at it at my job and they deleted the spyware they found and added adware protection still have the problem though. Please Help.
5 REPLIES 5
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Re: Internet Explorer Keeps Freezing

Apparently the spyware isn't enough.
I recommend installing "spyboat search and destroy", update it and scan your pc.

Also I hope you run updated version of IE and install all patches for your OS.
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

Try installing Mozilla Firefox as a browser.
Do not run IE for a time.
See if this helps isolating the issue.
This way you'll be able to see if the problem is IE related.
Tnks.

Edgar.
Rich S
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Melissa,

The problem is NOT spyware or a virus. That is a common problem with Norton and I see it all the time. Norton when installed, gets in soooo deep to your computer that when it "runs out of time", it will lock up the PC. If you think about it, that is what you wanted it to do when it was working. Take over your PC and protect it from viruses.

If you subcribed to Norton and paid the year subscription... it will fix itself.

For those that do not want Norton, you have to use a special uninstall tool for that version you have. It is available on teh Syamntec web site.

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001090708472107?OpenDocument&seg=hm

Rich

Say thanks with HP POINTS
MelissaL

Thanks to all that repsonded to my problem. I actually did not renew Norton, but instead I uninstalled it as well as McAfee and it now works fine. I am using another antivirus protection software and it seems to be working well.

Thanks again.
Rich S
Honored Contributor

Posts like this one helps a lot of people in the same boat you were. In fact I'm surprised I have not posted the Symantec removal tool before now.

Glad to hear all is ok now....

Rich

Points?

Points are a way of saying thank you to the person that has helped you with your problem.

Only the question author can assign points to a given response. You will see a dropdown menu of points next to the reply (you must be logged in to see the menu). Select the point value and then click the "submit points" button.

Note that you can rate multiple replies and submit them at one time. That way you can assign more than ten points to any one user for their reply.