Internet Products
1751781 Members
3938 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ME & IE DUN won't remember password

Steven Rolen

ME & IE DUN won't remember password

8766c w/MS ME. IE won't remember password. tried upgrading to ie v6...no change. Technet was no help either. Any suggestions out there???
6 REPLIES 6
Spirited Woman
Advisor

Do you get a prompt when Windows comes up that asks for your user name and password? If you do, and you press CANCEL, it won't store the password. Here's what you have to do: Go to START, SEARCH, FILES & FOLDERS. In Names, type *.pwl. Make sure you are searching in Drive C. Press ENTER, or click SEARCH NOW. Right click on any files found and choose delete. Reboot the system. When it comes back up, it will ask for user name and password again. Type your username, and if you choose to use one, type your password. If you don't want to use a password, click OK after typing your username. When you go into Dialing Properties, and check the box to save password, it shouldn't prompt you for your password again.
Steven Rolen

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your effort(!),but like I said Technet was no help, meaning that article Q148925, has already been found and tried as well as:
Q141858
Q135197
Q137361
Q141858
Please don't take this as admonition, instead, accept this challenge to assist in diagnosing a particularly curious problem. Not a show-stopper but very irritating to the user.

FYI, this pc has just recently been restored from the HP recovery CD's and continues with the same issue.

Query...does anyone else have this problem or could this be a wierd hardware problem with this one PC????
Melanie Burkhart

I just bought my laptop in February and I have the same problem with passwords not saving. I've tried everything and talked to everyone I can. I'm so frustrated! I was just ready to use the recovery CD, but now I'm not sure I'll bother. Does anyone else have this problem or suggestion?
Matthew Harms

This isn't what i wanted to hear when i went out searching for anwsers :)

I just got a omnibook 6000 (win2k pro) laptop with the exact same problem. Restored from cd's when i got it (used) and it has never stored a single password, not in IE6, Outlook Express, DUN.......
And i didn't find any .pwl files.

I will post here if i find anything helpfull.

-Matt
Matthew Harms

that didn't take long (surprisingly).
found a fix for windows 2000 and XP that worked for me, hope it helps the rest of u out.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q264672

-Matt
Patrick Ruane
Valued Contributor

I can remember experiencing this with Win98. I managed to get around it by removing Dial up Networking (Control Panel > Add & Remove Programs > Windows Components), rebooting and re-adding DUN (I think). I can't test this at the moment 'cause I'm not at a win98 workstation. See if this helps, ME might be different or my memory may have faded.

Bear in mind you will have to put all your settings back in (phone numbers etc.) so make a note of everything before you start.
working harder, making better, doing faster makes us stronger