1748017 Members
3986 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Outlook Express won't display body of messages

Michael Elleby III_1
Trusted Contributor

Outlook Express won't display body of messages

I've un-installed and re-installed Outlook Express several times on my WinXP Home machine, and everytime a message comes in, the body is blank, either in the preview pane, or even when I open up the message to view it.. All else with the message is fine.

Any suggestions?
Knowledge Is Power
31 REPLIES 31
Jacob Paulus
Trusted Contributor

I haven't ever seen this problem before so here are a few guesses and an attempt at an explanation:

Outlook Express doesn't actually download the entire message when it updates with the server...it only fetches the email headers. There may be a very strange problem with your mail server whereby it removes the message from the server when Outlook Express fetches the header (the server may think it is getting the entire message..) You could try to leave a copy of the message on the server (set under the account properties dialog box)

Make sure your e-mail account is set up as a mail account and not a news account. Outlook express has a setting to delete message bodies of read news messages.

Also, see the attached picture for another method of troubleshooting.

Robert Taylor_13

This has recently happened to me. Outlook Express just stops showing the body of the message. I have tried all kinds of things to get it back and nothing seems to work.

I was hoping that someone had a solution to this problem.

I have had to start using a different email app just to be able to read my incoming mail.
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

This has happened in my environment also, you need to change preview setting and check view with auto-reply I think and then it will start showing.

Rgds

Gopi
Robert Taylor_13

I tried changing the Preview Pane setting. That didn't do anything.

Plus I have tried everything stated in the orginal post.

"I've un-installed and re-installed Outlook Express several times..., and everytime a message comes in, the body is blank, either in the preview pane, or even when I open up the message to view it. All else with the message is fine."

There must be a file somewhere that is corrupted. I even deleted the Inbox.dbx file hoping that when it got recreated the problem would be solved. It wasn't.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I've had this problem the only was I could get round it was to rename my existing windows profile, and create another one. Then reimport all the message and etc back in this seems to solve it. But has any one else got a quicker way to resolve this...

Rick Gudorf

Try following please:

Start, then Run:

regsvr32 inetcomm.dll

(I found this on Experts-Exchange and it worked for me.)

Regards.
Patrick Marotta

Very nice, I have been having this exact problem since yesterday. Searching the internet with keyword revealed the conversation here. I just tried the run command and it works perfect. Rick hit it on the head! Thanks a lot...

By the way, does anybody know how to get an adware (at least I think it is adware) "advanced search" toolbar line off of my toolbar area. It has colored boxes with the topics "Hot Spots", "Pharmacy", "Gambling", etc...Please let me know if you do. (I have tried "toolbars", under the view option and it does not seem to help) Thanks for any help.
angela_44

You need to open the Outlook Express, click on tools, options, maintenance. On this tab you can try to use the clean up now and see if that will work. If it doesn't work then go back to the same maintenance tab and click store folder, copy the path, and then follow the path to the correct folder, after you copy the path close the outlook express. The last folder to open should be the \outlook express folder.. open this and delete all files within the folder. Then restart the computer, open the Outlook Express after restart, you may have to setup the email account again... Then test. The messages should display. I just used this with a customer and the problem was resolved.

angela

I'll try the

Start, then Run: regsvr32 inetcomm.dll

I've also found that the PC's that have this problem also cant print from IE just prints blank pages.Also oyher things line not opening older 16bit programs or missing autoexec.nt file. I wonder if its some sort of virus thats causeing all this.