Internet Products
1752577 Members
4257 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Outlook Express won't display body of messages

MRC

I have tried every suggestion listed here and none of it has solved this problem with Outlook on my laptop. I know the message bodies are there because I copied the message folders from my desktop computer to the laptop to be able to go through emails at work, which I have done many times before and always been able to read the messages just fine. Also, when looking at message properties-details-message source, the body contents are in that too, but still will not display in either the preview pane or the fully opened message. An additional problem is that when clicking on an attachment picture (under the paperclip) it will not open and basically ignores the click. I have to manually save the files somewhere and then open to view. I have also tried copying the Program Files\Outlook Express folder over from the desktop to the laptop in hopes of overwriting a corrupt file but that didnt' work either.

I know what will solve the problem: the next time I format and reinstall the system.
Jim Kaufmann

Check to see if you have a corrupted font, in particular the most used fonts, Arial and Times New Roman. I had Arial bold that displayed all blanks!

I had other symptoms also. Skype errored with "Out of Resource memory" Visual FoxPro Exceptioned Errored when trying to modify a Report Form. All using Arial Bold.

Solution in my case was to copy Arialbd.ttf from another computer.
Knodge

The blank message body happened to me with OE on XP SP2 after running anti-spyware software. I also found that after forwarding a message to Hotmail the message was blank there also!
After trying all the fixes suggested in this thread without success I found the following finally worked for me. I edited the Environment variables (accessed via 'My Computer@ - R Click - Properties) and changed the location for temp and tmp from the location in c:\Documents and Settings... Local Settings\ to c:\temp. Bingo! (without re-booting). Good luck.
Jeffrey Starr

My problem is not receiving emails with blank content, but rather, whenever I type in the body of the letter, only blanks appear. The cursor moves right along, but nothing shows. Any ideas how to fix this??
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Jeffrey: whenever I type in the body of the letter, only blanks appear.

What happens when you send it to yourself? Is the background color the same as the foreground?
dixieprecision

CLUE!!!!

We have 10 emial identities setup. The only ones that will not display the messages in the preview pane are the ones that were passworded!!!

I am still looking for a solution

tag: outlook express
SFHR
Frequent Advisor

Well I don't know but did you saved password in profile for connectivity? It should work if this is the case. Otherwise if you do not provide password and want your outlook to display messages in preview pan, it can not until it download the complete message instead of the headers.

Please check if the outlook express is set for downloading complete messages not the headers only. for details on how to configure outlook express,please visit microsoft knowledgebase:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2409264

Regards//
SF Hussain

Help others for better Tomorrow

To the person who instructed:  start, run, regsvr32 inetcomm.dll - IT WORKED!!!!!

Thank you so much

Pyjo

This kind of problem may be related also to permissions on the temp folder.

This command may help:

cacls %temp% /e /r everyone

See this article for details.

iain399

I had the same problem and it mystified me too.  I tried the regsvr32 inetcomm.dll run command and it didn't help.

Then I followed instructions on this page to check the temp folder - and there is the answer.

Windows has a problem with folders holding more than 5000 items; my folder showed 5,178.  So I started deleting older ones, and found the count was still at 5,178!

This means Windows isn't able, for some reason, to count the entries in this folder- I went to town and deleted nearly all of it, whereupon - delight! - my email contents reappeared.

What must have happened is your folder has filled up over time, which means this Outlook problem occurs out of the blue.

Joined this forum just to reveal this solution, which I hope works for you too.