Internet of Things (IoT)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State of Industrial IoT – How I’m Seeing It

About a year and a half ago, my team and I organized our thoughts around the emerging Internet of Things (IoT), and compiled "The 7 Principles of the Industrial IoT”1. I had the privilege of sharing our thinking with the industry, presenting these seven concepts in my keynote at the Industrial IoT Consortium’s Energy Summit, which my team and I hosted last June on the HPE campus in Houston, Texas. We continue to use these Principles to guide our IoT strategy, offerings, and customer and partner engagements. Today at HPE, we are well into our IoT businesses, having launched several products and solutions into the marketplace that are expressly designed for the IoT. I now have another opportunity to publicly share how it’s going, and ways our IoT thought leadership has progressed. I’ll do this by leading the Disruptive Industrial Innovations Executive Panel at Bosch Connected World, in Chicago on September 27, 2016.

There was always a predictive element to these 7 Principles, and in a sense an assertion of trends to come. It's rewarding to see how the industry is beginning to address Principe #5 which states, “The IoT presents a trade-off between the immediacy of data insights and the depth of data insights”. That is, one can get immediate “Time-to-Insight” on a rudimentary analytic such as a temperature comparison or fast Fourier transform to determine if rotating wheels on a tram will cause a life threating accident. Immediate Time-to-Insight is crucial here. But on the other end of the spectrum is the protracted time required to gain deep insight. The example here is from the scientific IoT, at of my former customers, the Large Hadron Collider at CERN in Europe, At CERN, they smash subatomic particles together to seek insight into the make-up of such particles. The data collected here takes a longer time to analyze, using large, back-end computer farms. Such “Depth-of-Insight” has resulted in the recent discovery of a new subatomic particle called the Higgs Boson.

This trade off, immediacy versus depth of insight, presents a mutually exclusive objective, and thus a marvelous opportunity our HPE Edgeline Converged IoT Systems2 are addressing. I often tell the colleagues I mentor and students I teach, that if you can solve a mutually exclusive objective, you can catapult your customers’ success, your career, and your company’s success. With the Edgeline Converged IoT Systems, we provide deep insights, right at the point of data capture or at the IoT edge. Thus the “Time-to-Insight” is decreased, because the data does not need to be transferred back to the cloud. We can now compute at the edge, accelerate insight, and start solving this mutually exclusive objective. Hear what Eric Van Gemeren3 of Flowserve has to say about this.

I’ll detail more on how we’re solving this mutually exclusive objective, and other status at Bosch Connected World. I’m happy to say Andy Chang, Director of Product Marketing, KUKA Robotics, Curtis Carson, Head of Manufacturing Digitalization, Airbus, and Karthik Natarajan, SVP & Global Head of Integrated Engineering Solutions, Tech Mahindra, will join me. These colleagues will manifest a veritable Algonquin roundtable4 of the industrial IoT. If you’re in the windy city then, please meet up with us.

Dr. Tom Bradicich

1. "The 7 Principles of the Industrial IoT" blog
  2. HPE Edgeline EL1000/4000 web page
  3. Flowserve Corporation video
  4. Algonquin Round Table Definition

About the Author

Dr. Tom Bradicich is VP and GM for Servers and IoT Systems at Hewlett Packard Enterprise. He was named in Computer Reseller News’ (CRN) Top 25 Disruptors of 2016 and the Top 100 IT Executives of 2016. Tom is known for managing the introduction of innovative products and businesses, recently creating a new product category “Converged IoT Systems”, with HPE Edgeline Systems, expressly designed for the IoT edge. Tom's data center server products have received an InfoWorld 2015 Technology of the Year Award, the 2015 ARM TechCon Best of Show Award, a CRN 2015 Product of the Year Award, and swept all six categories of the 2016 IT Brand Pulse Leader Award.

Jan 30-31, 2018
Expert Days - 2018
Visit this forum and get the schedules for online HPE Expert Days where you can talk to HPE product experts, R&D and support team members and get answ...
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2018
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more