1748267 Members
3794 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2 Core Switches with spanning Tree Enable with 2 same default routes

shaan129

2 Core Switches with spanning Tree Enable with 2 same default routes

Dear All , 

I am bit confused about the below setup if somebdy could provide their valuable inputs would be very kind of you all

I have 2-E5412 core switches with spanning tree enabled & for redundancy purpose i have enabled vrrp on Core switches & to these both core switches i have multiple edge switches being connected i.e. each edge switch has 2 links one to Primary core & another to Secondary Core

My doubts is as mentioned below 

As VRRP requires ip routing to be enabled does this make the client traffic or any traffic for which i have defined VRRP to flow from edge switch to Secondary core switch or it would be always flowing to Primary core because reason 1 : 2nd link from the Edge Switch will be blocked due to STP reason 2:  the gateway configured on client is the one which is defined on Primary Core Switch so interface ip address over rides logical vrrp ip

Note : i am using 2 ip setup for VRRP configuration

Regards

shaan

5 REPLIES 5
akg7
HPE Pro

Hi,

Traffic will flow from VRRP primary switch and second link will be in standby/secondary state, this will active when primary fails.

I believe you have defined the the virtual/floating ip on the client machines.

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
shaan129

Hi akg ,
You mean to say even if ip routing is enabled for working of vrrp configuration on both cores the traffic will always flow or come to primary core switch from the edge switch ? What is the reason behind it because client has gateway configured as the virtual ip which is defined on both core switches so on what basis does the client make decision to send the traffic to primary core or secondary core

In my setup i have 2 links from edge switch to both core switches i.e. primary root switch & secondary root or backup root this is because i a running STP

Regards
Shaan
akg7
HPE Pro

Hi,

I believe the clients have the same virtual IP gateway because thats a virtual floating router which floats from primary to secondary or secondary to primary in case of failrue.

Clients just nomrally send traffic towards virtual gateway but traffic flows based on the VRRP primary/secondary.

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
shaan129

Hello ,

I am not much clear about it i will try explaining the setup below primar

I have 2 core switches primary & secondary core switch on production network wiht STP running on it Primary core switch being root & secondary being the backup root .I have different services running on the network with diff vlan , diff subnet assigned to them with 2 Firewalls on HA cluster mode where master firewall connected to Primary core switch , standby firewall connected to Secondary core switch .

My question is i want redundancy for services that are running on LAN which i mentioned above which is with different vlans and diff subnets assigned to them . i have configured vrrp for all those vlans i.e as an example i have defined an interface ip on vlan 80 192.168.1.1/24 on primary core switch also virtual ip on primary core switch i have defined is 192.168.1.1/24 and on secondary core switch vlan 80 configured with ip 192.168.1.2/24 and virtual ip as 192.168.1.1/24 and all the devices connected on this vlan in lan network have gateway as 192.168.1.1/24 

So in above setup if i am enabling vrrp on both core switches i need to enable routing and if i want vlan 80 to reach internet so i need to add default route pointing to Firewall so my question is can i have ip routing and default route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x defined on 2 core switches at the same time ? Will it not cause any issues how will be the data flow 

Regards

shaan

akg7
HPE Pro

Hi,

I dont believe so ip routing and default route will create any problem.

Thanks!