cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3036 WAN Gateway

josh.williams
Occasional Visitor

3036 WAN Gateway

Hello all, I have several offices that I need to setup a 3036 router at and can't seem to find a way to give the WAN interface a gateway as the cable provider gives us one that we have to use. Any help would be great.

5 REPLIES
thegrave
Occasional Visitor

Re: 3036 WAN Gateway

I guess you mean you receive the default gate via DHCP, right? If so the default gateway parameter received in the DHCP reply has to be installed as a default route. I've done it on Cisco but I don't think that you can do this on 3COM. Just configure a static default pointing to the ISP and hope it won't get changed:)

mg_driver
Advisor

Actually, if the WAN interface e2/0 is set to ip address dhcp-allocate, when the ISP delivers the IP address, it also supplies the default GW address. If you execute the display IP route, you should see the GW address 0.0.0.0 and the next hop address as supplied by the ISP.

thegrave
Occasional Visitor

Are you sure about that? Here is what I see in the command description:

Using the ip address dhcp-alloc command, you can allocate local IP addresses by making use of DHCP. Using the undo ip address dhcp-alloc command, you can

disable the allocation of local IP addresses via DHCP negotiation. This command must be configured and executed in Ethernet interface (including subinterface)

view.

This sounds exactly as the IOS' ip address dhcp command. Have you tested if it installs a default route indeed? If so - is there a way to force it not to do it?

Thanks,

Stefan

mg_driver
Advisor

thegrave, I mis-understood the question. the solution is to create a route-policy. Using the policy, you define the criteria based upon source address to direct traffic to an alternate DG or next hop.

thegrave
Occasional Visitor

Sure about that? That makes even less sense:) Rereading the question makes me think exactly the same thing I thought about in the very beginning - get the DG option from the DHCP offer of the ISP and install it as a default route. Josh seems to be not that interested anyway so I guess he solved his problem already.