LAN Routing
1753771 Members
4787 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Can i make my HP2910al-48G-PoE Switch as unmanaged switch?

HeraldSison
Occasional Visitor

Can i make my HP2910al-48G-PoE Switch as unmanaged switch?

Hi All,

Hope all is well, i am very new to HP Switches and Networking. I have a question about my HP2910al-48G-PoE Switch if i can make this as an unmanage switch? I am into Cisco and i am not familiar with the details on the configuration of any HP switches. Is it possible if i can make this HP Switch a plug an play or unmanaged switch? i want to connect it to a Cisco core switch and make it as my Access switch via mode access port on my Cisco and not as Trunk port.

Hope everyone can help me with this problem.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Re: Can i make my HP2910al-48G-PoE Switch as unmanaged switch?

Hello

The management interface cannot be disabled. But you can reset the switch to factory defaults settings. In the factory configuration there will be only the default VLAN 1 and all ports will be untagged (in Cisco terms access port) in VLAN 1. In this state there will be direct communication between every port of the switch like with an unmanaged non-VLAN capable switch. Also you can connect every port to an access port of the Cisco switch. The VLAN ID on the Cisco switch doesnt have to be VLAN 1.

If you doesnt have access to the management interfaces of the switch (GUI and CLI) the easiest way to do this is using the Clear and Reset buttons

You can restore the factory default configuration either on the switch itself,
or through the switch console.
To run the factory default reset on the switch, perform these steps:
1. Using pointed objects, simultaneously press both the Reset and Clear
buttons on the front of the switch.
2. Continue to press the Clear button while releasing the Reset button.
3. When the Self Test LED begins to flash, release the Clear button.
The switch will then complete its self test and begin operating with its
configuration restored to the factory default settings.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Can i make my HP2910al-48G-PoE Switch as unmanaged switch?

@Emil_G wrote: Also you can connect every port to an access port of the Cisco switch. The VLAN ID on the Cisco switch doesnt have to be VLAN 1.

True.

Since the OP claims to be a Cisco guy would be also correct to say that if the Cisco Core interface used to downlink to his HP ProCurve 2910al Switch is, let me say, set as an access port with PVID N (N is the VLAN id) then would be also better to set all HP Switch's ports as untagged member of that VLAN id (eventually this means that that VLAN id needs to be created on the HP Switch)...that's to avoid PVID mismatch reported on uplink ports to Cisco.

Sort of issuing just few commands on the HP:

config (to enter configuration mode)

vlan n (if vlan id n doesn't exist this command will create it)

untagged 1-48 (this command is executed automatically inside the "vlan n" context)

exit (this command exits the "vlan n" context)

write memory (to save)

In any case a proper configuration between Cisco and HP should at least follow what is reported here.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner