1753527 Members
5495 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Connecting 2 HPE 1920s via Fiber and using spesific ports as bridge

newbjupiter
Visitor

Connecting 2 HPE 1920s via Fiber and using spesific ports as bridge

I want to connecte my 2 HPE 1920s Switches via fiber as they will be in different building and a fiber connection exist but i want them to work as "port transparent bridges"  ( if such a term exist!!)

Basically i need to be able to  use port 1 (side a)  to port1 (sideb) as an ethernet connection  so i can connect different servers/switches/routers  to several port and get the connection to the other building bt have various networks that need to pass over the fiber to the other side

in simpler words ( or even more confusing)   where i have 10 workstations in side A (from various networks) i want to move them to side B and the two buildings have a fiber cable ready for this connection

i tried using one to one vlan and trunk but cannot get the connectio to to side B

switch 1 -> trunk 1  members port 1 and sfp port (25)  and vlan 1 included and tagged in both ports (1 and 25)

switch 2 -> trunk 1  members port 1 and sfp port (25)  and vlan 1 imclude and tagged in both ports (1 and 25)

Apologies for the newbie question  and the bad english but i coudnt find a way here to upload a diagram to be more on point

5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Connecting 2 HPE 1920s via Fiber and using spesific ports as bridge

Hi! are you using HPE 1920S or HPE 1920 (note the capital S)?

You should simply configure a single interface to carry just VLAN 1 (which is default), tagged or untagged (native)...so forget the "Trunk" (which on 1920S means "Links Aggregation" or port bonding/teaming if it sounds you more familiar):

Switch A port 25 (SFP) [VLAN x tagged or untagged] <- Fiber -> [VLAN x tagged or untagged] port 25 (SFP) Switch B

Access devices on both ends (Switch A and B) should be then connected to ports that are configured with VLAN x as untagged (in other terms: ports should be untagged members of VLAN x which acts as native VLAN on those ports).

The fact that you could leave the port 25 (on both ends) untagged on VLAN x or tagged on VLAN x depends that the number of VLANs you're going to plan to "transport" (carry) between involved switches...probably you should go with tagging VLAN x on both ports (and set them to not carrying any untagged packets leaving them "orphaned" of untagged VLAN membership).

All the configuration - if, as suggested, you forget the Trunk (you say you have just a single link between switches) - can be done on 1920S on the VLAN -> Port Membership (here you can set what VLAN a port is tagged or untagged member of). Remember a port can be member of just one untagged VLAN and/or many tagged VLANs.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
newbjupiter
Visitor

Thank your reply, yes its 2 x HPE 1920S and i tried what you suggested (if i understood it correctly!) on both sides
side 1 vlan 100 on port 1 and 25 ( include & tagged) and
vlan 200 on port 2 and 25 (include and tagged) , yes i will need multiple vlans passing via the sfp,

side 2 the same as above but not luck! connecting a workstation on port 1(side 2 ) is not reaching server 1 which is connected on port 1 at side 1

Do i need to setup the sfp ports as an uplink or something else or it should just work?
here is how each side look now

[SIDE B.jpg]
and here is what im trying to do, in general im trying to configure theese 2 switches as a some sort of a patch panel from side a to b
[NETWORK.jpg]
parnassus
Honored Contributor

I don't see any image.

By the way it's not difficult.

Side 1 = Switch A

Side 2 = Switch B

if you are dealing with two VLAN IDs (say 100 and 200) and you have some hosts on Switch A that belong to VLAN 100 and some other that belong to VLAN 200 AND the same case is happening on your Switch B AND you need to interconnect Switch A with Switch B you have to:

Switch A and B -> set untagged VLAN 100 those ports that need to be on VLAN 100 Subnet.

Switch A and B -> set untagged VLAN 200 those ports that need to be on VLAN 200 Subnet.

Think of VLAN 100 and 200 as "isands" and (access) bridges to get into those islands are the (access) ports of your Switches.

Then the uplink port between Switch A and Switch B is just another port (SFP, Copper, Single or Aggregate, it doesn't really matter) just need to be tagged with VLAN 100 and 200 on both ends (Switch A and Switch B).

You can also decide to pass VLAN 100 as untagged and VLAN 200 as tagged, or vice-versa but I suggest you to tag both and leave the uplink ports without any untagged VLAN membership...so between those two ports only tagged packed (tagged by the switches) will be able to pass back and forth.

Testing (example) VLAN 100 -> host A1 on port 1 untagged on VLAN 100 on Switch A should be able to ping host B1 on port 1 untagged on VLAN 100 on Switch B and vice-versa.

he same should happen between a pair of hosts on VLAN 200.

Testing (example) VLAN 200 -> host A2 on port 2 untagged on VLAN 200 on Switch A should be able to ping host B2 on port 2 untagged on VLAN 200 on Switch B and vice-versa.

During testing be sure that between (and on) hosts there shouldn't be OS firewalls dropping ICMP, interfering.

Routing between VLAN 100 and 200 works if one of the switches has IP routing enabled and VLAN 100 and 200 on that particular switch have IP Address specified on involved VLAN IDs. 

I'm not an HPE Employee
newbjupiter
Visitor

Thank you for the reply , i did try it but no luck, maybe is my poor English or i might be thinking it wrong, i dont have access to the networks i need to pass though the two switches ( i dont know if they use vlans or not maybe vlans are not the answer??) i just need to extend them like a transparent bridge, the functionality i need is that of a patch panel, connect anything to port 1 side A and get it to port 1 side b , connect another network to port 2 side a and get it to port 2 side B

Here is the scenario where side a switch will sit we had the workstations directly connected to their respective switches and know we need to move them to different building,
[scenario.jpg]

hope the picture is visible now and might give some clarity
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Sorry but the picture can't be seen (you need to upload it into the post as an image file, simply copying it and pasting it doesn't work here).

OK so you need that hosts connected into Switch "A" (say belonging to VLAN 100's suubnet) can be moved/migrated into Switch "B" placed in another building (to move the hosts on the same corresponding ports or not, it's not a requirement)...perfect...so you need - as I wrote you in my example above - to setup a link (your fiber optic link) where both ends (say port 25 of Switch "A" and port 25 of Switch "B") are tagged with the VLAN ID you want to transport (VLAN 100 in this case, but you can tag various VLAN IDs if you need to transport more of them)...in other terms ports of the link interconnecting both switches need to be tagged member of the particular VLAN ID you want to transport.

If you're unsure about how the 1920S are currently configured, how hosts are connected to both ones, how to setup that VLAN membership, then you need to show us how they are configured (visually or via the configuration file) and you should post a simple network scheme so we can easily understand exactly what you have and what you want to achieve.

The more details you provide, the better the answers (if any) you could receive.

I'm not an HPE Employee