5165 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Different VLANs to different Gateways

Liquidsam

Different VLANs to different Gateways

Hello,

I have an HP 5120 which has the following VLANs:

VLAN 30 - Crew     192.168.30.0                               VLAN Interface 192.168.30.1

VLAN 35 - Guest    192.168.35.0                               VLAN Interface 192.168.35.1

VLAN 45 - Entertainment    192.168.45.0              VLAN Interface 192.168.45.1

VLAN 50 - Media    192.168.50.0                              VLAN Interface 192.168.50.1

This system has multiple Gateways for multiple internet connections.

I have a VLAN35 Guest gateway at 192.168.35.254 and a VLAN 50 Media gateway at 192.168.50.254.

I want the VLAN 30 and VLAN 35 internet traffic to go through the Guest gateway.

I want the VLAN 45 and VLAN 50 internet traffic to go through the Media gateway.

Currently VLAN35 internet traffic goes out the VLAN 35 gateway and the VLAN 50 media traffic goes out the VLAN 50 gateway.

I am having trouble working out how to send the VLAN 30 internet traffic to the VLAN 35 gateway and the VLAN 45 internet traffic to the VLAN 50 Gateway. I would normally create a static route for 0.0.0.0 and point it to the only gateway for the internet. In this case I want to do something similar but depending on the source IP, send it to a different gateway.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Sam 

2 REPLIES 2
James Crosland_1
Occasional Advisor

Did you find a solution for this - i'm trying to do something pretty similar.  I've setup using IP Prefix-Lists / Route maps but it doesn't appear to be having any effect

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,
If the 5120 had -
policy based routing or
BGP or
VPN instances or maybe even
OpenFlow
you could do this - but it doesn't :-(
However the cheaty way of doing it (if your other WAN device supports it) is to have your "primary" group of VLANs routed on the switch and forwarded at layer 3 to a gateway and out onto the outside network via one router...
And then put sub interfaces on the LAN facing port of your other router, trunk those vlans from the switch to the WAN router and forward that second set of VLANs at layer 2 having removed the SVI's for those VLANs on the switch.
Not pleasant but it will take the routing for the second set of networks from the switch allowing those networks to use the WAN router Lan port sub-interface as their next-hop.
HTH
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me